lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2020, 07:03 AM   #1431
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Programming Curtis Controller

Last time I had checked, it was down. Dunno if it was coronavirus related or not. I'm not home, so I cannot check. A lot of the industries in China are still affected, whether China wants to admit it or not. I have been unable to make contact with one of the manufacturing facilities there that I have had manufacturing sub-assemblies for years.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #1432
bbb168
Not Yet Wild

Hi Bob
I have a 1234 controller which is very slow.
Finally found that the max speed lock cannot be modified.
Do you know the reason?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MaxSpeed.jpg (20.1 KB, 0 views)
bbb168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:53 PM   #1433
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb168 View Post
Hi Bob
I have a 1234 controller which is very slow.
Finally found that the max speed lock cannot be modified.
Do you know the reason?
Yes, it is locked via the VCL (Vehicle Control Language)/OS (Operating System) programming. I change things like that all of the time. Unless you know how to unlock that specific lock, you cannot make any changes. Only those (person or company) that wrote the OS/VCL will know how to unlock any locks contained within. I never give away any secrets to any of the locks that I have written. First, out of respect for those that I wrote controller OSs for. And second, job security for those same. If I gave away those secrets, who would want to hire me in the future to write OSs for their controllers? Most of the work that I do involves me unlocking controllers, making "baseline" changes to how data is processed, and relocking those controllers so that they can be operated within the new parameter ranges. In other words, I expand upon the previously loaded limitations. The VCL does not know or care that the data it gets has been "recalibrated". It just is what it is told to be. OEMs and users of the final product have no clue as to how the final product operates internally, as it is invisible to anyone that cannot unlock or relock a controller.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #1434
snsrider717
Not Yet Wild

Gents, new to the forum. I have read a ton on here. Appreciate all the advice.
I'm competent with most mechanical issues and usually pretty decent with a computer, but I only have basic programming skills.

I just picked up a 2014 EZ-Go RXV 48V with the Curtis AC drive. (1206 controller? Those are the first 4 of the model number) 23 in tires. Currently runs 16 mph. So far, I like it way better than my 36V TXT PDS.

I have read about 50 pages of this thread (but not its entirety because it is really dang long) and am not really sure what path to take. I would like to have the options to change all the parameters that are described by the Curtis software. Top speed, torque, delays, regen ect.

Dealer said they could "give me the fastest possible" for $250 but the guy barely knew anymore about the process than I did. I assumed he was saying this would unlock Freedom mode, but I want access to everything if able.

So, my questions are: Where do I start? Does freedom mode need to be unlocked for the Curtis software to be used to its potential or have you all found a safe work around? Should I go through all the steps of trying to build my own cable or is there a reasonably priced alternative that consistently works? Is there an inexpensive way to acquire the 1314-4402 software (an hour of googling has not turned anything up)?

I found a software/hardware set for sale on a forklift website for $390 but I can't post a link because I'm a new member.

I would still need an adapter cable to connect it to the molex connection on the cart. I have seen adapters on amazon for $85 but that seems ridiculous. I am real competent with a soldering iron if I am able to find the ends. (BTW a lot of the older links in this thread no longer work, so I apologize if I missed updates posted somewhere in the thread)

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Kyle
snsrider717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:16 PM   #1435
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by snsrider717 View Post
Gents, new to the forum. I have read a ton on here. Appreciate all the advice.
I'm competent with most mechanical issues and usually pretty decent with a computer, but I only have basic programming skills.

I just picked up a 2014 EZ-Go RXV 48V with the Curtis AC drive. (1206 controller? Those are the first 4 of the model number) 23 in tires. Currently runs 16 mph. So far, I like it way better than my 36V TXT PDS.

I have read about 50 pages of this thread (but not its entirety because it is really dang long) and am not really sure what path to take. I would like to have the options to change all the parameters that are described by the Curtis software. Top speed, torque, delays, regen ect.

Dealer said they could "give me the fastest possible" for $250 but the guy barely knew anymore about the process than I did. I assumed he was saying this would unlock Freedom mode, but I want access to everything if able.

So, my questions are: Where do I start? Does freedom mode need to be unlocked for the Curtis software to be used to its potential or have you all found a safe work around? Should I go through all the steps of trying to build my own cable or is there a reasonably priced alternative that consistently works? Is there an inexpensive way to acquire the 1314-4402 software (an hour of googling has not turned anything up)?

I found a software/hardware set for sale on a forklift website for $390 but I can't post a link because I'm a new member.

I would still need an adapter cable to connect it to the molex connection on the cart. I have seen adapters on amazon for $85 but that seems ridiculous. I am real competent with a soldering iron if I am able to find the ends. (BTW a lot of the older links in this thread no longer work, so I apologize if I missed updates posted somewhere in the thread)

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Kyle
Welcome to the BGW forum Kyle. The dealer would just use a passkey to enable Freedom mode, which cripples the controller an additional 12% in torque in addition to the 28% that has been detuned in all RXV and TXT48 1206XX controllers. The additional 12% torque loss would actually result in a lowered top speed with oversized tires, as compared with smaller tires, where torque is preserved. With 18" stock tires, a stock 235 Amp Curtis controlled RXV can be reprogrammed to reach 26-27 MPH. With 20.5" tires, it can reach about 32 MPH in most cases. Published tire sizes are approximate, not exact. Dealers in my area charge $100 to use their passkey on a cart. I enable Freedom mode with the click of a mouse!

The 1206AC-5201 controller in your RXV was designed to turn tires up to 20.5" tall. Your 23" tires are too tall for that controller to turn and survive long term. Any adjustments to increase performance will hasten its demise. This is why I do not do performance reprogrammings on any Curtis stock 235 Amp RXV or 250 Amp TXT48 controllers that are to be used with 23" tires.

For RXVs, it requires a Curtis 350 Amp upgrade controller. For a TXT48, it requires a 500 Amp Alltrax controller, to properly drive 23" tires... turned down to 400 Amps to drive the stock motor until it fails from the abuse. Then turned up to 500 Amps to drive an aftermarket motor with enough torque to survive!

I applaud your desire to learn, I just hope that you will spend some time learning the engineering that helps you to learn the limitations of the technology that is used in the golf carts that we want to modify to be more than what they were designed to be. Some have more potential designed in than others. The RXV is a good choice due to some of the choices made in the design.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:25 PM   #1436
snsrider717
Not Yet Wild

Bob, Thanks for the quick response, it's clear from all your posts you are an expert in this realm.

If I buy the 350 amp controller, would you recommend I re-program it myself or have someone else do it? Is it smart to stick with that ez go 350 amp or buy something aftermarket?

I'd like to get the point where I can adjust all the settings as I go. I'm willing to spend a little money to do it right, but want to do the labor myself.
snsrider717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:28 AM   #1437
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by snsrider717 View Post
Bob, Thanks for the quick response, it's clear from all your posts you are an expert in this realm.

If I buy the 350 amp controller, would you recommend I re-program it myself or have someone else do it? Is it smart to stick with that ez go 350 amp or buy something aftermarket?

I'd like to get the point where I can adjust all the settings as I go. I'm willing to spend a little money to do it right, but want to do the labor myself.
You can PM usgicollector about a 350 Amp controller, as he has a source that is a lot less expensive than E-Z-GO online. There is no aftermarket controller that is truly rated for 350 Amps AC that will work for the RXV. The Navitas "rating" for it would be 1050 Amps. LOL

It'll cost a lot more than a little money to do it right. Gone are the days of the homemade 1309 type interfaces and the adapted serial cables. Curtis has moved on to more advanced software and OSs with multiple protocols, and all of that in a single hardware device. The highest access level obtainable with the new hardware/software is OEM, hardly worth the expense. My solution was rather unique, as I have experience writing controller OSs and programming software.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #1438
servpro
Not Yet Wild

Question #1
I was wondering if someone could help me out. I am getting a communications error (error e0023 I think). I see a lot of people are using the USB-Serial method, however I have an old PC with serial port and thought it would be much easier to just use the serial method. I created two cables (see attached) and both are not working. I have the following wires connected (same for both cables), however I was reading in this forum about signals needing to be inverted or something. Tried with both the new and old versions of Curtis Software.

Note: I will trill the loop test when I get home from work tonight just to make sure my cables and serial port are working.

Current Setup:
  • Curtis Controller Model 1268-5403
  • NEV-48x 48v 4 Seater Golf Cart from about 2010
  • Windows XP with both Curtis Software 1314-4401 and 1314-4402 installed.
    • 1314 -4401 PC Programming (OEM) Version: 3.12.0.33
    • 1314 -4402 PC Programming (OEM) Version: 4.2.2.335

MOLEX (from Curtis 1268 manual page 7)
J3-1 Rx Data
J3-2 BJ3-3 Tx Data
J3-3 Tx Data
J3-4 +15V (I have this disconnected since using PC)

Serial
Pin 2 - Rx Data
Pin 3 - Tx Data
Pin 4 - Ground

Question #2
I am trying to program a switch so I can have two modes. One mode is normal operation and the second mode would be for kids (ages 14+). The kid mode would just be slower. Currently it goes about 25mph and I would like to drop that down to 10-15 mph. 25mph is just too fast and these carts can be top heavy if fully loaded.

According to the manual; "J1-20 Mode Switch input from mode switch allows me to switch between two modes", however how do I do this with a switch?

How am I sending the signal to switch between the two modes?

This is what my 3 Position Key Lock Rotary Switch looks like and what the manual says;

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8764B.jpg (491.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Position Key Lock Rotary Switch.jpg (277.3 KB, 0 views)
servpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #1439
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Can’t help with question 1 but for 2 apply pack voltage to pin 20 and it will switch modes. You will need a handheld or computer to change the settings involved.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #1440
servpro
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Can’t help with question 1 but for 2 apply pack voltage to pin 20 and it will switch modes. You will need a handheld or computer to change the settings involved.
Thanks for the reply, I just want to verify your statement "apply pack voltage"; based on this statement; I would assume that when no voltage is applied to pin 20, it would be in mode 1. When voltage is applied; it would switch to mode 2. Is this correct?

Also, would I apply 12v to pin 20? I didn't read anywhere about how many volts to apply. Just want to make sure its not like 3.3v or 5v.

----------------
Since I cannot update my original post anymore, thought I would give a quick update on Question #1. I had the wires backwards on the serial pins for tx/rx for one of my cables and I didn't get a chance to test the other cable, I just completed it before taking the photo. That's what you get for soldering cables at 2 am in the morning after a long day of work I am going to try one more time tonight, otherwise I will just go the USB route and use the newer version.
servpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts