lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default High Speed Motor Temp problem?

I have questions about motor run temps, I know them, have and EXray hooked for this and miles etc. I normally ran 178-210 degrees for a 20 mile ride with mech. disc brakes, installed hydraulic fronts and have had these changes . I have adjusted everything and all is well, all brakes "are not" dragging lifted both ends tire move freely. Since the front brake install I have had a 20% decrease in run distance, 50% pack voltage for 20 miles normally, motor temp 210-220 driving under 20 mph (all road driving) speeding to 25-27 motor goes 240 - 278 in a mile or 2 at this speed. 2 people in cart.

Cart:
48volt setup w/GE 36v high speed motor
2ga cables
alltrax 600 amp
lifted 6"
255-60-10 scorchers at 14.5 psi
8 6v gc45 batteries
rear seats

Are these temps normal, real bad or what? I don't want to kill this motor but we drive alot here 4 or 5 times a week 10-20 miles, Any feedback would help.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: High Speed Motor Temp problem?

I've asked this same question a couple of times, but got no response. I'm afraid when mine goes over 180° F. Alltrax's suggestions are 149° F for warning and 167° F for danger alarms, but typical motor windings (wire) insulation is good for 180° C!!! I would guess the weak link is the bearing grease, and its tolerances.

Eager to hear what happens, as I've been water cooling mine at each stop once it hits 167° F.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In the RC car world, electric motors are usually good from 160 - 180* anything over 200* is not good. As far as cart motor, I would think that it's pretty close to the same. I would talk to PQ or one of the others (D&D) and get their opinion to be sure. My cart has not gone over 150* yet running around the neighborhood at 30+ MPH with an ambient temperature of 93*.

My setup:

48v Alltrax DCX 400amp
4ga cables
4" Lift
6 - 8v Trojan Batteries.
22"x10"x11" Tires.
Ausco Man. Disc brakes.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I asked the dealer for my HS motor and he said ???

8 T-105
2 Awg
AMD 36-volt (6.1-hp@5330 rpm) HIGH SPEED series motor

I've set the controller to the least aggressive pedal down and limited it to 80% amps, but it still gets hot.

Maybe I need to figure out a way to water cool the thing. Right now I'm pouring cold water on the motor each and every stop after it starts getting hot.

Not happy.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I guess running today 96 degrees outside temp does not help either, the xtra brakes maybe overkill, but This buggy is finished and I just want to ride this summer, I guess I will just keep on keepin on, Thanks for the posts
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by as350pilot View Post
In the RC car world, electric motors are usually good from 160 - 180* anything over 200* is not good. As far as cart motor, I would think that it's pretty close to the same. I would talk to PQ or one of the others (D&D) and get their opinion to be sure. My cart has not gone over 150* yet running around the neighborhood at 30+ MPH with an ambient temperature of 93*.

My setup:

48v Alltrax DCX 400amp
4ga cables
4" Lift
6 - 8v Trojan Batteries.
22"x10"x11" Tires.
Ausco Man. Disc brakes.
It sounds like my set up and yours is similar, the weight and caliper rub, even if they run free maybe to much, But I have read all over, guys with 4 wheel discs and no problems, maybe having the exray is killin it for me, sometimes its better maybe to not know
Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by as350pilot View Post

My setup:

48v Alltrax DCX 400amp
4ga cables
4" Lift
6 - 8v Trojan Batteries.
22"x10"x11" Tires.
Ausco Man. Disc brakes.
If 200 is max, looks like I need to carry a tow rope every where.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Question for the original poster. I assume you have your Ex-Ray set for F, and not C???

Does any dealer have the ability to ask this from their suppliers? I have contacted AMD directly, and they refuse to respond.

I have:

AMD 36-volt (6.1-hp@5330 rpm) HIGH SPEED series motor with 19 spline coupler for E-Z-GO 1988-up series cars.

I don't know what the original poster has, but it's also high speed. He's hit 278°, and I panic when I get over 168°. I either let it rest or pour water over it, which only cools the stator, and allow the temperature to calm down before continuing.

If the original poster is killing his, or if I'm being overly cautious, we'd both like to know.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Question for the original poster. I assume you have your Ex-Ray set for F, and not C???

Does any dealer have the ability to ask this from their suppliers? I have contacted AMD directly, and they refuse to respond.

I have:

AMD 36-volt (6.1-hp@5330 rpm) HIGH SPEED series motor with 19 spline coupler for E-Z-GO 1988-up series cars.

I don't know what the original poster has, but it's also high speed. He's hit 278°, and I panic when I get over 168°. I either let it rest or pour water over it, which only cools the stator, and allow the temperature to calm down before continuing.

If the original poster is killing his, or if I'm being overly cautious, we'd both like to know.
I do have an Ex-Ray Hooked to a bolt in the motor towards front of cart, it is set for F. I am going to drive for a couple of weeks if temp continues I will probably have to remove front brakes and run just the mechanical. I do really like the stopping power of both. It will be an expensive lesson to remove them.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Obviously the coffee hadn't kicked in when I posted my question. 278° C would be ridiculous.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO