lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
deadhead803
Not Yet Wild

Default 93 ez go charger tripping off

First let me say I am new the site and really not a cart person yet.We got a 1993 ezgo for my wife to use on the farm to help her out.Put new batteries in 6v but charger runs for a few minutes and trips off.Had charger tested and it was good.Checked all battery connections and they are good.Tested batteries and they are all around 6.2 after reseting charger a few times.Any help would be appreciated.thanks
deadhead803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 93 ez go charger tripping off

Welcome to BGW!

What charger do you have?
Picture of faceplate if you can't figure out the manufacture and model.
By "Tripping off" do you mean the charger is shutting off, or do you mean it is tripping a circuit breaker?

6.2V is only about 70% charged, here's a State of Charge chart.
Note: Voltages listed are taken 12 Hours after charger shuts off.

If the charger's circuit breaker is tripping, you might have a bad diode in charger.
Good news is that you probably have one of the old chargers that weighed about 20-30 pounds and are easy to fix. Tell us what you've got and we'll go from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
deadhead803
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply.Charger is total charge 3 model number 26984.I carried it to the golf cart shop and they charged to carts with it and it didnt trip out or cut off.When i say trip I mean it runs for around 5 minutes then it clicks and shuts off.You wait about 5 minutes and press red reset button and it comes back on for a few more minutes.I did find that the m- wire from f/r lever was hot yesterday after driving it a few minutes.Thanks for any help.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead803 View Post
Thanks for the reply.Charger is total charge 3 model number 26984.I carried it to the golf cart shop and they charged to carts with it and it didnt trip out or cut off.When i say trip I mean it runs for around 5 minutes then it clicks and shuts off.You wait about 5 minutes and press red reset button and it comes back on for a few more minutes.I did find that the m- wire from f/r lever was hot yesterday after driving it a few minutes.Thanks for any help.
I had one doing that one time and I just replaced the "red reset button" and all was good. Apparently the breaker had gotten weak somehow.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Anytime Ive had a charger trip like that it was from ether miswiring or a battery with a dead short. Matter of fact the last time it happened all the batteries checked fine with a volt meter...I kept trying to charge, then one of the batteries exploded, replaced the battery and all was good. If you have a load tester to check them that might be a good thing.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Anytime Ive had a charger trip like that it was from ether miswiring or a battery with a dead short. Matter of fact the last time it happened all the batteries checked fine with a volt meter...I kept trying to charge, then one of the batteries exploded, replaced the battery and all was good. If you have a load tester to check them that might be a good thing.
Yes, I mis-read the post above mine. I thought he took the cart to the shop and they charged it with no problem. It actually says he took his charger to the shop and it charged two carts fine. Dang speed reading! Definitely a cart problem, not a charger problem. Sorry
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If it works okay on other carts, but trips the 50A breaker on charger when you try to charge your cart, logic says the problem is in your cart, but golf carts and logic don't always agree.

Like Bowslayer said, it could be the breaker is worn out.

Here's the manual for a TC III.

What does the Ammeter read before the breaker pops?
If less than 50A, I'd replace the breaker, but I'd also check the diodes while I had it open.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TCIII & IV Owner's - Parts - Service.pdf (3.28 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
deadhead803
Not Yet Wild

When I plug up charger it goes to about 20amps runs a while then cuts off.It never goes to the red which is 30amps and it doesnt run long enough to drop down.thanks for the manual gonna start reading.thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO