lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2022, 10:19 PM   #1
Wyomingwind
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 21" tire death to curtis 235 controller?

Howdy all,

Purchased a one owner 2017 RXV last march, and have been working out the kinks. It came with a set of 215/35r14 backlash tires, no lift, and the 235 amp curtis controller was programed to 23 mph by the original dealer. It has a 48v "4-12v trojan 1275" setup. The batteries have had to be replaced, 3 in 2019, 1 in 2018. After sifting through BGW threads for a year come to find its not the most reliable setup even with good maintenance. AKA stunted range after extended storage, low total amperage available to the drive system. So, I did order a lester summit II to see if I can extend the battery life/range for a few more seasons. Also, after fighting micro leaks in the back two tires all summer I ordered four Duro 225/40r14... 21" tires , and for better fitment for the cart.

This is where I think I'm making the mistake. I've come across a few posts from a well experienced expert... Mr. Boyce, where by going bigger than 20.5" the stress on the drive system is too high, and will burn up the 235 amp controller. But, this is the only place I've seen or heard of this. Is this running at max speed, at max potential/full controller amperage for extended periods of time? Or just running the cart? This cart is primarily used on the golf course, but I do get up to max speed running the dogs, but they can only run so long before they need a lift. I haven't come across any threads with detrimental issues or horror stories, but any incite or shared experience would be greatly appreciated before I fix a headache with a hammer.
Wyomingwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2022, 11:15 AM   #2
Wyomingwind
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 21" tire death to curtis 235 controller?

The charger and tires came in. So far, i am very happy with the Lester Summit II.

Unplugged the stock delta q after a charge, showed 70% charge on the summit. After a proper charge and equalization charge the batteries perked right up. Happy to have the balance charge option as trojan recommends it once a month.

I did find a battery with 3 out of 4 cells have dark and discolored electrolyte. The one cell that isn't dirty isn't reading on the hydrometer, but no issue with voltage right now.

I am also considering pulling the stock curtis controller and replacing it for longevity for 21" tires. Looking at the navitas 600a for the rxv. Are there any better or more cost effective options? I'd love to motor map and reprogram the 235a curtis but don't have the option within 1000 miles.

Again any shared experience would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2022, 02:08 PM   #3
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Your cheapest option is to have your controller reprogrammed. Your speed would be 30mph and you can get the torque turned up also.

You will need a complete set of 2awg battery cables if you get it reprogrammed also.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:50 PM   #4
Wyomingwind
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Your cheapest option is to have your controller reprogrammed. Your speed would be 30mph and you can get the torque turned up also.

You will need a complete set of 2awg battery cables if you get it reprogrammed also.
Thank you Sir! I've seen some great results with an unleashed Curtis controller thanks to the BGW pages.

Unfortunately, my options seem to be limited to location. I haven't come across any manufacture level programmer's in the immediate area, or the closest Metro area "Denver, CO". To my knowledge Mr. Royce only does reprogramming in person, which is understandable due to high demand and negligence/liability reasons.

Plus, with the tires i'd like to run "21", the cart would need to be motor mapped with the controller in it.

I'd love to be on the list if he's ever headed west to Yellowstone National Park...
Thanks Again!

Wyomingite-
Old 01-27-2022, 04:09 PM   #5
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I sent you a pm.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curtis, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO