lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2022, 08:22 AM   #1
mnealuf
Not Yet Wild

Default All sports super sport lift too stiff

Last year installed a 4”all sports on my club car DS and it rides like a covered wagon. Either geometry sucks or the spring rate is wayyyy too high. Anyone me ever find a source for custom leafs ? I wonder if I could get a softer spring or even modifying the existing leaf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55A42AF3-BA76-4321-896A-A63C68144C05.jpg (87.4 KB, 0 views)
mnealuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2022, 02:29 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: All sports super sport lift too stuff

Leaf spring suspensions are notorious for rough ride. Usually if you use a softer spring you'll have alignment issues and steering will be irratic. The suspension design is the fault here.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:46 PM   #3
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

While all of the above is true in theory, there is still a lot you can do to "dial in" our suspension to our needs. First question. Which end of the cart is the biggest problem?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:39 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: All sports super sport lift too stiff

I have the same kit in a 6" on my 1987 Club Car and it rides very comfortably in my opinion. Been on the cart with pretty frequent use both on and off-road since January 2013 and I would gladly buy another one. I do have 8" wheels with 22" tires (plenty of sidewall cushion). Maybe that makes a difference?

I have a 1990 Club Car with a Z-lift (uses stock front suspension) and it rides like a covered wagon. Every bump seems to throw you out of your seat.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:51 PM   #5
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well Springbok, looks like his radio went dead.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:26 PM   #6
mnealuf
Not Yet Wild

The front is definitely the worst. Rear is little stiff since I did Li conversion (had dual action springs), I may put stock leafs back in the rear at s9mw point to try but for sure the front is the primary offender.

QUOTE=dundeebarnbuggy;1870931]While all of the above is true in theory, there is still a lot you can do to "dial in" our suspension to our needs. First question. Which end of the cart is the biggest problem?[/QUOTE]
Old 01-20-2022, 02:30 PM   #7
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here's what you need. The front main leaf is OK. You need to find a lighter [read thinner] helper to go with as you can't just run the main by itself. Early 80s DS had a three leaves in the front if you can find them, the middle works great. Now, it still needs a little extra support where it bolts to the frame. A peice of 1/4 or 3/8" flat bar with the ends bent down to form a bit of a saddle against the spring. You will have a bit more body roll if you want to corner at stupid speeds but lifted carts are not made to corner. It really helps off road as it allows a little more movement in off camber situations allowing the rear wheels more equal traction. What size tires?
Old 01-22-2022, 07:30 AM   #8
mnealuf
Not Yet Wild

I wonder if I could find the dimensions of a softer spring such as you describe and get a spring place to bend one up for me. I have 22” X 10 tires.

QUOTE=dundeebarnbuggy;1871675]Here's what you need. The front main leaf is OK. You need to find a lighter [read thinner] helper to go with as you can't just run the main by itself. Early 80s DS had a three leaves in the front if you can find them, the middle works great. Now, it still needs a little extra support where it bolts to the frame. A peice of 1/4 or 3/8" flat bar with the ends bent down to form a bit of a saddle against the spring. You will have a bit more body roll if you want to corner at stupid speeds but lifted carts are not made to corner. It really helps off road as it allows a little more movement in off camber situations allowing the rear wheels more equal traction. What size tires?[/QUOTE]
Old 01-22-2022, 01:04 PM   #9
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you are not going to get a factory CC leaf, just take your main to a decent spring shop, they will know what you need. The saddle, however you will have to make yourself as You need the cart's weight sitting on the spring [assembled] to figure out the amount of "step" needed at the end to just touch the spring without forcing it.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:30 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Not many spring shops left anymore. We used to get springs re-arched all the time. That's a good suggestion though, there's usually at least one in every bigger city. I've heard some trailer springs are the correct thickness and width, have considered looking at those before.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts