lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Spots
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery maintenance- Solutions

LAst night when I went to pick up My Accelerator micro switch, solenoid and F&R handle, I ran into a man that runs the maintenance on a smaller local golf course. I was asking the Parts Man about parts for my next project, getting my 1999 bad boy buggy running- I said the first thing I need to do is get new batteries. The golf course man, said Why get new ones? get the formula for the stuff off EBAY. I thought oh ya and I'll buy your swamp land along with the Brooklyn bridge. He said the battery people keep buying up the formulas ( at this point he sounded like a kook- conspiracy guy and I thought he was going to tell me about aliens)

After he left, the Parts man said that guy get his batteries to last longer, about 8 years before he replaces the batteries- I am just finding this tooooo hard to believe, or everybody would be doing it.

I will admit, I did buy directions off Ebay on how to jump rechargeable batteries to reset the memory ( like for Drills and saws - 14.4's ) and it works.
any thoughts on this formula for extending life in batteries? or should I just send all of you a check instead?
Spots
Spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery maintenance- Solutions

I dunno aboout that? Auntie made her Trojans last 8 years just by Good maintenance and proper usage And she is not the only one to do so... But hey How about making that battery reset info avail..... I have a couple of 18v that could use some new life
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I wouldn't do it on a good set of batteries. I would only do it on a set you need to replace. I have used the Minn-kota battey equalizer stuff and it does work. I had one battery that was completly sulphated I used that stuff in and ended up using that battery a year to start my powerstroke deisel.

What they are selling on ebay is instructions on how to use "Epsom Salt". There is a thread here on the forum that tells yo how to do this. (At your own risk of coarse)

Epsom salt can be found at just about any grocery store. I think MOST folk have had good results. Mind you, all you are doing is extending the life a bit. It won't make a battery NEW again. Just prolong the inevitable.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Spots
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

On resetting rechargeble batteries, basically all you need to do is attach a fully charged battery, + to + - to - for about 40 seconds - this is supposed to clear the memory,

when I get home tonight I will post the complete instructions
Spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

epsom salt? In a battery? does that sound right to you? The reality is it does work for a short period of time. But if the battery plate is bad, its bad, you can't put material back on the plate. And all this talk about sulfation? Hog wash, with todays battery chargers its almost non existant.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXEROFCARTS View Post
epsom salt? In a battery? does that sound right to you? The reality is it does work for a short period of time. But if the battery plate is bad, its bad, you can't put material back on the plate. And all this talk about sulfation? Hog wash, with todays battery chargers its almost non existant.
As I posted in my previous post, thats about all that you will get out of the "fix"....if your lucky and your plates aren't shorted out you might get another year of useful life. I think what most folks are after is just a little more time. No way in hell I would do it on a new or fairly good set of batts.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

When I say short period of time....its a month or two, thats it.
I have never seen, nor has anyone proved to me any way, or product that has made a battery come back to life.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

There have been several people on the forum(s) that have done the temp "fix". (search) Some with not so good results, some with better results. None of them last forever. I don't think anyone is trying to prove anything to anyone..... just trying to make their batteries last a little longer. In the end, it's their batteries and pocketbook.

I used the Minn-Kota "battery equalizer" once on 1 12 volt starting battery. I used that battery for almost a year and then had to replace it. Next time the need arizes I'll use it again. Never have used epsom salts. Don't wanna screw up what batteries I do have just to see IF it works.

It's funny how Trojan Battery has a "partnership" with Minn-Kota.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
NewCartGuy
Not Yet Wild

I have used the battery reconditioning method that is sold on ebay and it worked great. I did it two years ago, the cart I picked up had trojan batteries that had not been charged or maintained in years. The mixture of epson salts and distilled water actually worked. When I first charged the batteries they did not last long and lacked any power, after the epson salt they had enough power to lay rubber in the driveway. I just finished putting the cart together so I have'nt had time to check the run time, but for the $5.00 I spent on the instructions, I'm happy, unfortunately my Wife fried my laptop and lost the instructions.
NewCartGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The instructions were posted by another member in another "recondition" topic. Users just have to search for it. I believe a few of the participants in that thread tried it, one had mixed results while others had good. At best its a TEMP fix but may give enough time to save money for a new set.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO