lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
HuntertheBeagle
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 won't stay running

Hey all, the golf cart at were i work won't stay running. When you push the accelerator it just produces a fast ticking noise from the solenoid. At first i thought that the solenoid was giving us problems. Then we tried jumping it with a car battery and it fired right up. A guy just bought a new battery for it but i am not sure if he bought the right one. I was wondering how high the cold cranking amps need to be to start a G16. The battery that he bought has 260 i think and the one that was in it before has 350. I don't think that either one of these batteries are the right ones. They are both just lawn and garden batteries and the battery plate is way bigger than what they are. But I was not sure how many CCA's a golf cart needs. The only other thing that i could even think of is to check the ground to make sure it is making good connection.(which i plan on checking tomorrow) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a Lot.
HuntertheBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 won't stay running

they take car size battery. i use idlest 500 or 600 cranking amps or more. lawn mower battery is to small.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have seen smaller batteries on carts and work.
Check and clean battery cables and post good.
If that doesn't fix it, and it will still boost with a additional battery it is probably time for brushes in the starter.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig tn View Post
I have seen smaller batteries on carts and work.
Check and clean battery cables and post good.
If that doesn't fix it, and it will still boost with a additional battery it is probably time for brushes in the starter.
so a lawn mower battery will work? OK forget i said it wouldn't work i didn't think it would
Old 04-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
HuntertheBeagle
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help guys. I did not think starter problems because it starts fine when we jump it. But i will clean the terminals up and then bring up the starter brushes to the guy that has the card that is funding all of this. The terminals look clean but i know that sometimes looks can be deceiving.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
so a lawn mower battery will work? OK forget i said it wouldn't work i didn't think it would

I don't think they would work good in a cold climate. But I have seen them on carts from the hot climate areas.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
HuntertheBeagle
Not Yet Wild

It was probably about 60 out when we were trying the other day so it was not very cold at all. I just had a tee-shirt on. I don't know if that makes a difference?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Battery will work but if it starts with extra power I'm guess it is the brushes I had a cart do that with a big battery replaced it and still did same thing , would start with hot battery or boosting ,but after battery cooled off would not start. replaced brushes and fixed cart.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

yup sounds like brushes. they are cheap and easy to put in .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha