lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2022, 11:41 PM   #1
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 6" A Arm Lift Kit - Tie rod rubbing against frame

Hey guys, I'm installing an SGC 6" A-Arm lift kit on my 1997 Club Car DS. After installing the front suspension, the tie rod is very close to the frame, and if I make a wide left turn on the steering wheel, the tie rod rubs against the frame slightly.

I've attached a couple photos showing the problem and potential reasons. One thing I'm concerned about is the tie rod ball joints aren't flush against the spindle. I tried to hammer them down with a mallet for a couple minutes, but what you see attached is where I'm at.

My second concern is that I didn't reuse some of the original hardware that I was maybe supposed to. The SGC instructions said to retain the hardware from removing the spindle. However, when installing the new spindle it didn't mention anything about the old hardware. Specifically, I've attached a pic of a couple washers that I'm wondering would have boosted the tie rod up enough to avoid the frame.

Any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? Honestly I'm not sure how big of a deal this is, but Im worried I may have messed something up that could lead to bigger issues and just want to get it right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220127_035855483.jpg (115.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220127_035937860.jpg (99.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220127_040002808.jpg (150.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220127_040036631.jpg (240.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220127_040642588.NIGHT.jpg (169.9 KB, 0 views)
cclocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2022, 05:29 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 6" A Arm Lift Kit - Tie rod rubbing against frame

It looks like your pictures are taken without the wheels and tires installed, as well as without all the parts being connected. Does it look the same with all the parts being connected/installed? How does it look with the wheels and tires installed?

I remember when I installed my lift, I thought I was going to have the same issue. I just went on with the install and there was no problem in the end. Hopefully that's the case here.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:07 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Check your tie rod mounting holes for a taper in them. There should be a 7 degree taper in the spindle arm for the tie rods to properly seat into.
And I agree that you need to finish assembling the whole package and get the cart weight on it to check for clearance.
Looks good so far......
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #4
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys, I went straight to bed after posting this and in my mind was wondering what will happen once I put the tires on and get the weight pushing up on the suspension. I'll be working on it again tonight and post an update. I'll also check on that taper.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:08 AM   #5
Mjmck
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclocke View Post
Thanks guys, I went straight to bed after posting this and in my mind was wondering what will happen once I put the tires on and get the weight pushing up on the suspension. I'll be working on it again tonight and post an update. I'll also check on that taper.
We installed this exact same kit on our cart and even with the suspension off the ground I don't remember it hitting. Will go out and take a picture later. Ours is an 02 CC.
Mjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:49 AM   #6
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmck View Post
We installed this exact same kit on our cart and even with the suspension off the ground I don't remember it hitting. Will go out and take a picture later. Ours is an 02 CC.
Thanks, yes that would be helpful.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:02 PM   #7
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update, I finished the front suspension and added my 18" tires and stock wheels (23s come next week), and you guys were right, I now have a good half inch + under the tie rod, so fingers crossed I should be good there. Thanks for the help, and sorry for my ignorance!

After installing the tires, its obvious that I'm going to need to make some alignment adjustments once I finish the rear kit, specifically the toe alignment (pictures attached). The instructions say that I'll need to loosen the tie rod nuts to adjust the toe, which are pretty rusted. I don't have a large enough wrench for the nut, and had no luck with pliers. I'd prefer not to spend $70 on a new tie rod and ball joints unless it's absolutely necessary.

Do you guys know what size wrench I'd need for that nut? Also, I've never done an alignment so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm guessing this is something that should be done once I get my larger tires installed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220128_031934283.jpg (149.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220128_031821369.jpg (235.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220128_032019515.jpg (241.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220128_033403103.jpg (134.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220128_033922060.jpg (124.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:35 AM   #8
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't know what size wrench you need, but now is the time to start soaking those nuts with Kroil or PB Blaster.
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:59 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Just go to your local Harbor Freight store and get a set of wrenches for $20. You need the right tools to do these kinds of jobs. I always find myself in the middle of a job and I don't have what I need....yep trip to the store.

As far as the alignment goes, yes you can do it with the tires you have but just recheck after you install the new ones.

I use long straight pipes and chalk to align my carts. I use the pipes and a helper to hold them against the outside of the tire/rim, then transfer the location onto the garage floor with chalk. Do both sides. Use a long pipe to mark the perfect center of the cart and draw another chalk line. Then measure the difference between the lines and adjust the toe to match the center line. I like to set mine up at 1/8" toe in at 6 feet in front, basically slightly toe in.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:05 PM   #10
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hi guys, I'm working on the rear lift now and I've already hit a problem. I got the u bolt nuts off, but for the life of me I can't get these lower shock nuts off because the whole shock moves with the nut when I turn the wrench.

Is there a trick or recommended tool to keeping the actual shock still? So frustrating, time to crack open another beer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts