lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
Remus Redbone
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Solutions for a single low battery

2011 Precedent with original batteries (6 x 8v). I bought the cart in early July '14. It was a rental on a really nice course, so I don't believe it suffered much abuse or lack of maintenance / charging, but I don't know for sure.....

The cart performs well (15.2 mph on flat ground) and the batteries charge up normally, but here's the the most recent voltages after full charge and several hours rest time.

1. 8.45
2. 8.47
3. 8.35
4. 8.48
5. 8.46
6. 8.47

Battery 3 is always lower than all others. It has one of the four cells that shows on the low side of the "fair" range by hydrometer where the other three cells show "good" or on the line between "fair" & "good". The hydrometer isn't high enough quality to read the actual specific gravity reading.

Is there any specific action needed? Is there any real solution, or is it typical for 3+ year old batteries to begin showing some imbalance? Does the location of a battery in the string have any effect on its life?

Just trying to be proactive in keeping the entire battery pack alive as long as possible.
Remus Redbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Solutions for a single low battery

You any have lights using that battery.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Can't hurt to try moving the battery out to either the number one or six position and see if the voltage comes up after a couple of charging. It's a little better than 80 % and the rest of your pack is 90 to near 100 so your really not doing too bad at all. I'd try moving it and see what happens...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

Remus, My CC and EzGo do the same thing... I'm very particular with my batteries and maintaining them... they get checked every few weeks for water level, cleaned and individual battery voltages taken... Both carts experience low voltage on the 3rd battery... I rotate my batteries and move the third battery to the 6th position and the 6th battery to the 1st position.... and so on. Since doing that, I've gotten 6 years out of my Trojan batteries with plenty of life to spare... good luck.
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
Remus Redbone
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
You any have lights using that battery.
No lights on the cart at all. No accessories at all. It was 100% stock when I bought it. It now has a 3" spindle lift and 10" wheel w/ 20" tall tires.

It also has 1/0 battery straps, and 2 ga from batteries to the controller & OBC, and 2 ga from controller to motor.
Remus Redbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car