lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
ncsupickle
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2010 precedent surging

Hey Guys, new to the site here, but i have seen tons of good info. I have a 2010 Precedent I2 Excel with 1 year old PD Plus Batteries, stock motor, stock controller, 6" lift, 14" rims, and 23" tires. I purchased the cart from a friend less than a year ago that bought it in stock form, and performed the upgrades for me.

It ran 18-19 mph when i picked it up, but it now runs 15 avg. mph. I did deflate the tires to down to 10psi, which could cause some top end loss. As of late, it has been surging off and on throughout the throttle. Per GPS, i lose 1-2 MPH for 2-3 seconds, and then it seems to pick back up. It's beginning to occur more frequently, and i've began to start to troubleshoot.

I've been through the entire battery pack with a hydrometer (24 cells good) and a digital meter, and the digital readings are as follows: 8.66, 8.66, 8.67, 8.66, 8.61, 8.59. I've also began to research performance upgrades from D&D Motors, but I want to make sure the cart is in great shape now before i unload 4 figures on upgrades.

What's my next logical step?

Thanks in advance,

JD
ncsupickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2010 precedent surging

With 23" tires you might have damaged the controller if it's the stock controller. The stock controllers were not designed to push those size of tires. Especially with the a lift kit.
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
TA00
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

what controller do you suggest. I am running i think the same on everything stock.
TA00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

It all depends on what you cart is built for? Riding the streets or going in the woods? You might want to load test your batteries, if you had a battery with a bad cell that drops out that could effect the speed as well. Before jumping the gun on a new controller.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
TA00
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

pasture, woods
TA00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would suggest a 500amp controller from fsip they have a Curtis controller conversion for the excel systems now.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
ncsupickle
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

i'm running 95% of the time on the street which is very flat. We ride it 5 days per week on average around the neighborhood with 2 adults and 2 small kids approximately 30 continuous minutes per trip. The rest of the usage is driving 2-3 minutes to a neighbor's house or to the fishing hole.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
ncsupickle
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I've checked the battery pack at ~50% and fully charged with a hydrometer and electric tester. How do suggest a load test?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

You can buy a load tester up to 16v at tractor supply or autozone. The battery will show 8 volts on a voltage meter but under load drop to 4 or less which means bad cell(s). It's a $20 dollar item. It's good to have but the batteries may not be the cause for your situation.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

Hook the leads of your DMM/ volt meter to the battery pack and drive the cart and watch what the volts drop to, and then do the same with each battery, driving up hill if you can will help with the load test
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car