lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
garminator
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default lights dim when accelerating?

Bear with me guys as i'm new to the cart world. I recently purchased a 94 CC DS Series cart with a set of solid batteries, however when I run it with the lights on for over 15 minutes, the headlights start to dim when I accelerate until they eventually cut off when I accelerate. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
garminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: lights dim when accelerating?

is it a 36 or 48 volt cart? and you need to see how lights are wired up.....if its a 48 volt cart does it have a voltage reducer? if 36 volt same thing or are the lights wired to 2 batteries? lift the seat and see if you have any extra 12 or 14 gage wires running to any batteries.......................also i think you want to test and load test your batteries...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
sticks
Not Yet Wild

my cart did the same before i bought new batteries. my batteries were 5 years old and would charge and run the cart. the headlights did the same as you stated. I would run my cart with my GPS on and would only go about 6 miles before the battery charge light would start coming on, and lights were very dim. after i installed new batteries, the lights don't dim, and i have driven 13 miles (75 minutes)non stop, up and down hills and off road, and never had the charge light come on.
the old batteries would only read about 11.75 volts after charger had stopped. they still worked, just short run time. it like a new cart now! (but $800 for batteries hurt!!!)
sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
garminator
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Great info thanks guys, Shadowman it's a 48V and the lights (headlights and rear lights) appear to be hooked up to one post (single red wire) connected to a negative terminal on one of the batteries.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

what about the positive wire? if hooked to one 8 volt battery that would explain it.................................
Old 07-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
garminator
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So Shadowman, should there be another cable there to connect another wire to the pos terminal on that same battery? when I bought the cart, the wire wasn't connected to anything so it's been a guessing game.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you need 2 wires somewhere to run lights.....a hot and a neg wire either connected to 1 battery ( 8 volts ) which isn,t right or 2 batteries ( 16 volts ) which isn,t right or if the cart has a voltage reducer somewhere that takes 48 volts to 12 volts for running lights or any other 12 volt acc. look on the rear drivers side frame rail to see if theres anything mounted like some sort of square box with a few wires coming out of it and if there is something where do the wires go??..........if you have six 8 volt batteries and no reducer you need a hot wire which in most cases is red and runs to a pos. battery post and a ground wire which should be black and running to a neg. battery post...........there are no grounds running to the frame are there? on an elec. cart all grounds have to go to a neg. battery terminal.....................
Old 07-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
garminator
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I appreciate your help, i'm gonna get on that this week and tinker with it.....i'll keep ya posted
Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you know what i missed this from your earlier post but if the cart is a 1994 than it can,t be a 48 volt cart they didn,t make 48 volt carts in 1994 so double check the year and the voltage.......check fill holes in batteries 3 = 36 volt 4 = 48 volt........................
Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
garminator
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Wow...now i'm confused....according to the vin plate, it's a 94 and all 6 of my batteries have 4 fill holes......could it have been changed over to a 48? and if so, would they have had to change the electronics as well???
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car