lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default the new motor is here

fedex brought the new motor today. and i did some preliminary fitting. took the tank, and key switch off so it would stuff in better. looks like the club car 'blackbox' is going to have to go, and i'll be needing a longer drive belt. also, i need to order a shaft adpter for the clutch. seems like the pto shaft is to long and will have to be cut, drilled and re-tapped.

any of you who have gone before have any advice? i don't want to reinvent the wheel. i just want this thing in so i can start beating on it again.

here's some pic.s showing the fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3216.jpg (133.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3220.jpg (76.3 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by kevinandrew; 03-18-2010 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: pic.s didn't post
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
LAJim
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: the new motor is here

Think I have similar motor,, Mine 13hp I bought from harbor freight for $261.00. Has CCW, 1" X 2 7/8" keyed shaft, only difference I can tell is mine called Greyhound and is painted blue.. You plan to use original tapered drive clutch with a tapered adaptor on it?? Or are you going to upgrade to newer clutch that doesn't have the taper? Waitin to hear from you..
LAJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

lajim,
yeah they probably are very similar motors. the only differences that i have noticed on the clones is that they configure the exausts, and aircleaners a little differently. other than that most clones are about 98.9% the same aside from color.

as far as the clutch goes....this is really a junkyard wars swap.....not big budget. tommorrow i'm going to makes some calls about how much shaft has to be cut off for the tapered shaft adpter to work. and how much 1 inch keyed shaft is needed for the nontapered non club car clutches. my other queston is probably a dumb one but does the driven clutch on the transaxel get swapped out for new too, or does it get modified for the new 1 3/16'' belt.

i'm leaning towards keeping the stock clutch and using a drive belt for a honda odyssee which is 31/32'' x 41 23/64'' total cost: about $75.00. my only concern is that i might later want to swap clutches.........so the phone calls.

just finished fabing up new throttle linkage. borrowed heavily from BGW posts. as soon as i sort out the clutch and whatever parts i decide on then i can bolt engine down. still deciding what to do about exaust. i was hoping that the club car manifold would bolt up....it doesn't. thinking about finding a flange that fit and making my own header.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There is a flange that fits that engine on the muffler that came with it.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
There is a flange that fits that engine on the muffler that came with it.....
my muffler has a cast iron manifold that bolts to the head with on 2 studs, then to the muffler with goffy 3 bolt pattern. was yours different?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Mine was 2 bolt .... I used it as a pattern to mod a CC muffler
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
LAJim
Not Yet Wild

Kev, thanks for the come back.. The cart I'm working on is an'87.. The stock belt is 15/16 wide, (they went to 1' in '88 til 92/93, then to the wider 1 3/16" after that I understand,) so I'm trying to stay with the 1" stuff on this one. concerning belts, I contacted Gates and they sent me a complete listing of all of what they call their Multi Speed Belts,(bout 200 different belts). A bit pricey, but the guy says they bout indestructible. sizes 3/4"x26" to 1 7/16"x 68". Please let me know what you do on your clutch deal, and if you want call me at 251-421-5329 and I'll fax you that belt list.. Waitin to hear from you before I go further..
Old 03-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

LA,
sounds like your cart has a whole set of different obstacles. when i run into a wall with mine....i start looking at the threads on BGW. i doing a lot of searching. there are a lot of people here who have already invented the wheel. i do a lot of looking at others fab jobs. scottyb was where we are several years ago and has been pretty helpful. this is still not a cheap 'hobby'. use the BGW thread search...tons of info there. especially the ones with pic.s. lucky you don't have a clockwise cart. it will makr things easier for you.

kma
Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

ok....made some phone calls. the clutch descision has been made. i'm going to use the stock cluch with a tapered shaft adpter. 39.99 and honda odysse belt. $26.99. i might cut a little off of the pto shaft, but even if i do i can use an aftermarket clutch later. for now though, i'm staying 'stock'. so as soon as part arrive i can nail the motor down. only mod. that i think will be needed is a new plate that lifts the motor about 3/4'' and allows it to slide over to the driver's side. next thing: finding an exaust flange that will work with clone motor. going to see tony tomorrow at his shop. hopping that he has what i need.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
LAJim
Not Yet Wild

Great.. Since I got to replace bad drive clutch anyway I going to the Series 06 clutch they all raving about.. Also talked to Tom @ carts plus and I going to send him my driven clutch and he going to machine it to match new drive clutch to fit 1 3/16" belt. Question, what is diameter of the odyssey belt you going to use, and is it 1 3/16".. Thanks LAJim..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car