lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
ruger.john
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 36v Battery Gauge/Volt Meter Problem

Hi,

I bought a volt meter a while back for my 90's ClubCar 36v, and I was just trying to install it recently. The volt meter is one of the LED ones with three posts on the back, labeled 1, 2 and 4.

I hooked 1 and 2 up to the negative side of battery 6 and positive side of battery 1 like I found in some instructions on the forums. However, then the instructions say to hook 4 up to the hot side of the key switch, which for me doesn't work. Checking with a voltmeter I get no current/voltage across the two terminals on the key assembly. However, the cart does still work and run and charge so I'm not sure whats going on there.

So I tried touching #4 to the positive side charge, and it does light up and show me 'full' on the gauge (which it should be because I just charged the cart as the instructions had said)

#1: What am I doing wrong with the key thing? I can provide pictures of the wiring on my cart if it would help.

#2: If I attach the 4 post to the positive battery post, which means the LED will always be on regardless if the cart is on or not, will this cause any damage to my batteries/cart?

Thanks for the help,
John
ruger.john is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Default Re: 36v Battery Gauge/Volt Meter Problem

does the cart run with the key off?? Maybe your cart key is switching "ground" for the solenoid/solenoids
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
ruger.john
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Nope, it won't run with the key off.

Playing with the settings on my mulimeter i managed to find a current when the key is on which goes away when the key is off but nevertheless the volt gauge won't work when connected to it.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

well alrighty then-----thats weird

My cart 97 DS has the power to the key switch from battery positive as "red" wire and out of switch as "blue" wire which then runs to the microswitch on the F/R switch.. It then leaves that microswitch as a yellow wire to the solenoid.

Mine is a single solenoid setup...do you have one or five solenoids with resistor coils??
Old 09-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger.john View Post
Nope, it won't run with the key off.

Playing with the settings on my mulimeter i managed to find a current when the key is on which goes away when the key is off but nevertheless the volt gauge won't work when connected to it.
Is it positive or negative current?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
ruger.john
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
well alrighty then-----thats weird

My cart 97 DS has the power to the key switch from battery positive as "red" wire and out of switch as "blue" wire which then runs to the microswitch on the F/R switch.. It then leaves that microswitch as a yellow wire to the solenoid.

Mine is a single solenoid setup...do you have one or five solenoids with resistor coils??
Well mine's a 91 VGlide, and it has the exact same setup as what you say with the red and blue wire for the key which goes to the microswitch, and then goes down to the solenoid.

Its a single solenoid with resistor coils.

Quote:
Is it positive or negative current?
Actually I was mistaken, I was only able to find any kind of reaction with my 20 year old multimeter on the Ohm's/resistance setting. And it didn't seem to have a direction, reversing red and black gave the same reading.

EDIT: An update. Apparently if I connect the third post marked as '4' to any kind of ground it works. If I hold it in my hand with bare feet or touch it to any metal the LED lights up like it should. However no matter what wire I connect it to related to the key it will not work.

Sorry for not being great with this kind of stuff, its my fathers cart and I'm trying to get this meter working so he doesn't have to buy new batteries in 2 years.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

does you meter look like this...another bad meter from the box maybe ScottyB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led meter.jpg (10.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
ruger.john
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No, it looks like this:

Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

sounds like you are onto it then. Try grounding # 4 as you say, and then taking the wire you have runninjg to the positive of the battery pack, and hooking that to the blue wire on the key switch. I actually took notes from your first and last post and from what I gather...you got it to wirk, but have 2 grounds and 1 power when it works...so go with it. just move the one positive feed to the switch, as that feeds the full battery pack voltage anyway, and its okay to grab the reading from there. did that make any sense???
Old 09-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
ruger.john
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Man something freaky is going on with the cart.

Well I try to do what you said and it doesn't light up the LED. However, if I take the positive from the #1 battery to the #1 post, the #2 post to the blue wire on the key switch and ground #4, it works. It turns on and off with the key.

I'm just not sure if this will cause any damage? Any ideas? i don't mind it being this way as long as I won't fry anything. The cart still drives and moves and everything so maybe its ok. I just would like to be certain though.

Thanks for all the help :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car