lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Warhammer444
Not Yet Wild

Cool OK! Got the Volt Meter - Now What?

Recap of my problem,

Pulled apart and cleaned all the contacts on my 1977 Electric EZGO. Was working before I fixed it, now that it is fixed it goes no where! Don't fix what isn't broken comes to mind!

Anyways, I thought it was the possibly the solenoid but it seems to be ok and all my connections are tight and they are all in the right place too! Yes they are I have checked them 15 times now! But nonetheless one of them is being missed or something because I cannot get the motor to engage.

They way I have the thing wired is the first diagram listed here titled late 70's wiring.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

One exception. This diagram does not show the connections to both sides of the Solenoid and so for the side not shown I have it wired like the 2nd diagram on this link

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

OK, so all batteries are fully charged and holding fine - all are 6.2 or 6.3 volts. The solenoid is letting voltage pass through but the Motor will not engage. It doesn't sound like it is even working, like if it was siezed or anything. Which I know very little of Electric motors - do they ever sieze or just kinda wear out?

I checked voltage to the S1 S2 A1 and A2 posts on the motor and here I get a bit confused. This is with the F/R switch in F and the key turned on (I have it up on jack stands).

Let's call the battery that has it's negative cable connecting to S2 battery #1and then the battery who's Positive cable connects to the F/R switch battery #2.

OK, so S1 shows 37 volts if tested from battery #1's negative post and all others S2 (of course) A1 and A2 have no readings. But when tested from battery number #2's positive, then those 3 posts show 37 volts each and S1 shows nothing.

Does this sound right? Doesn't to me, but I'm learning as we go here on the elctricity front.

Also, from what I read online last night about DC motors, A1 and A2 (armerture - sp?) can be used to control motor speed through the amount of voltage applied. Well when I am doing the tests I do not have the acceleration pedal pushed at all and they are reading the full 37 volts, so where does the increased voltage come from for acceleration?

What posts can I contect to directly from the battery bank, with which Polarity to have the motor kick in and give me so much needed encouragement that the motor is fine and this is just a connection issue somewhere?

What other readings should I be taking to track this problem down?

Thanks to anyone and everyone in this forum, it has already been a great help and I am sure will prove to continue being so as I proceed with this new pet project.

Warhammer444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: OK! Got the Volt Meter - Now What?

Seldom do those 6v motors just quit. You have a wiring problem but I don't have any diagrams. By the Way your fully charged 6v batteries should have readings of 6.3 to 6.4
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
Warhammer444
Not Yet Wild

"By the Way your fully charged 6v batteries should have readings of 6.3 to 6.4"

Thanks, I have been wondering what they should read fully charged.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Warhammer-I looked at the diagram for "early 70s" and can't figure an answer to your questions. First,you say the cart was running prior to cleaning up all the contacts. If so then odds are that your wiring got mixed up when being replaced. Start by running every wire you took off and put back, no matter how many times you have done it as sometimes we make the same mistake even when obvious. From there keep coming on for help, we have guys here that can answer your questions in their sleep. It just takes a little time to wake us up. Hang in there.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Warhammer444
Not Yet Wild

"If so then odds are that your wiring got mixed up when being replaced."

That was my thoughts as well. At least the first 15 times!

"Start by running every wire you took off and put back, no matter how many times you have done it as sometimes we make the same mistake even when obvious."

This is absolutely true. Has happened to me many times, check, then recheck, recheck again being convinced something is right, then not revisting it again and spending literally days trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Finally fed up and unable to take anymore recheck the original item again and feel chagrined at an obvious overlook of some sort!

In this case, I actually finally broke down this morning and went and pulled 36volt motor I had on an old manlift I have. Hooked it up and she engaged good and strong with no problems.

So, I am not sure what I did to the motor, but I am guessing during cleaning some dirt or grease got in there. Keep in mind this thing is 30 years old and I am not sure even it's original owner ever gave it a bath!

After confirming the motor was the problem, I pulled those black rubber access grommets on the motor and sprayed an entire can of Electrical contact cleaner inside. Unbelievable the amount of dirt and grime that came out of there!

Unfortunately, this did not correct the problem, So I am going to pull the motor for better access to its inards and give it a thorough cleaning.

New question has now come up though. I will start it in a new thread. Thanks all for the input and advice!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Glad you founf the problem--Sad it is the motor. Cleaning is not a bad idea-Be careful if you pull the armature out and reinstalling it as it may be tricky getting by the brush holders. Good luck again!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO