lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Snyde
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G19 Steering Box Rebuild

Tried a search for the items in the tags, but not much luck, Although I did find a great procedure about removing the kingpins from cgtech, thanks. But that is a project for a different day...
Anyway, I have a lot, about 90° degrees, free play in a just purchased '98 G19. Tried adjusting the adjuster screw, got most of the play out, but starts to bind after about 90° of turning either way. So I backed it off to the point of being able to turn it fully without much binding, but the free play is NG again. Tie rod ends seem to be acceptable, at least for now. When I grab the wheels and try to turn them, I can see the idler arm/pitman arm shaft move in unison and the play seems to be inside the box. I suspect worn steering shaft and pinion.
My question is how to best service the internals. I'm not afraid of taking on the mech work, but want to take the easiest route. I imagine the work can be done without removing the box from the frame, but would probably be a lot easier on the bench. It looks like the steering column is a press into the box or possibly welded, so the column and box will need to slide out from the bottom as a unit once the steering wheel is removed? Can this be done without removing the front cowl? It looks like the front bumper will need to be removed at the least.
Also, it appears that the bearings are tapered. Is the outer race pressed into the housing, will I need to drive them out, or will they remove easily?
I have already ordered the components, shaft, pitman, bearings, seals, etc., just waiting for all of them to come in.
Are there any words of advice on areas that may be a problem, or is this a straightforward rebuild?
My biggest problem now is logistics: the cart is now 300 miles away from home at our camper, so this work will be done in the field rather than the comfort of my garage and access to a lot of tools.
Sorry for a wordy post, I wanted to be clear as to the problem, my plan, and ask for tips.
Regards-
jb

Last edited by Snyde; 05-07-2013 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Subject line
Snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G19 Steering Box Rebuild

Take the top off and pack it as full of wheel bearing grease as you can get in it. Thats all I've ever heard of doing!!!!! It worked on my G-20.
Hope this helps!!!!!
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Snyde
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks LURCH, but already have parts on order. I did consider tearing it down, disassemble, clean & then reassemble packed with grease. But I figured there would be would be worn parts & would end up doing twice the work eventually.
It just doesn't feel right when the wheel is turned. If not for the excessive play, I probably would have gone the route you suggest. I think the rough feeling may be the kingping bushings, that will be the next project.
I can't help it, I do automotive ride & handling for a living. This winter I'm going to try & make shocks for it.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thats cool buddy. Since I put the long travel on mine its been 3 or 4 times harder to steer so I called Jakes today and they said I would have to live with it. I think I'm going to put a rack on mine and be done with it.
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I just did the same as you.I put more grease in it.I then tried adjusting the tension on the top of the box.I too got the tight spot when trying to turn about 90* past center.I kept backing the adjuster off till I can barely feel the drag.I think I might need to loosen it a hair more.I don't have my cart all the way done so I haven't drove it yet.take pics and keep us informered on how the rebuild how's and what was wore out?good luck
jackel440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Snyde
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks jackel440, I will get some pics of the as is condition and post how it goes. Still hoping someone here has pulled the box and steering column on one of these models and can offer advice. Otherwise, I'll just have a go at it and try to detail my adventure so maybe others can benefit in the future. I've already learned a lot from this forum, hope to be able to contribute back.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Sorry, late to the party again First, the best you'll ever get in steering wheel play is 1" to 1 1/2"'s, just the nature of worm gear/pitman steering box's. Yes the column is pressed into the housing. Yes it it easier to pull the assy out with the front cowel off (only the Yamaha emblem,2 screws and the 10mm nuts that hold on the rubber trim/metal brackets). You will need to remove the idler arm first (eithe a good 2 arm puller or a automotive pitman tool with cut down "claws" to match the idler arm flanges). After disassembly, the bearing race (in the housing) can be driven out with a long rod, the bearing race in the preloading adjustment nut is alittle tricky. After bearings installed, shaft installed, put the steering wheel back in place, install the preloading adjustment nut and turn it in till the bearings are seated. Tighten it till you feel "drag" when you turn the steering wheel with your finger, then tighten the lock nut while holding the adjustment nut in the correct position. Install the pitman arm, pack the box with grease and install the top plate. The pitman adjustment is...turn screw in a 1/4 turn in and check steering wheel movement (from lock to lock), when you fell a "bind" back off till no bind and tighten the lock nut. Reassemble the unit, making shure the dot on the pitman shaft and the mark on the idler arm line up. Hope that helped alittle.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Snyde
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you smallblock450sl. Parts are trickling in, will take on the project over Memorial Day weekend. I'll report back on outcome but between your tips & service manual I don't anticipate any problems.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Snyde
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

One more question if I may, do I make the adjustments to the pitman and steering shaft with the wheels off the ground? Seems likely, I just like to cover the bases. Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyde View Post
One more question if I may, do I make the adjustments to the pitman and steering shaft with the wheels off the ground? Seems likely, I just like to cover the bases. Thanks again.
Definatly off the ground. You want to use your finger to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock to feel the slightest binding. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pinion, steering box, steering shaft
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha