lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Precedent surging after DCX Upgrade

I have a 2005 Precedent IQ cart and I just installed an Alltrax DCX600 controller. When I first installed it would top out at 15mph. After doing some reading I installed the clubcar4 throttle map. It now runs about 20 mph top end, but the first half of the pedal is dead. When I try to keep it a steady slow speed it surges like crazy. Everything that I have read points to the mcor, I just wanted to get some opinions before I ordered one. Thanks in advance.

Cart
2005 Precedent
Upgraded Solenoid
Stock Motor
Alltrax DCX600
2ga. Cables

Controller
Current Output 100%
Throttle Up 2
Throttle Down 5
Brake Current 0
Half Speed Reverse On
Turbo On
Clubcar4.hex throttle map
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent surging after DCX Upgrade

A 600 Amp controller with a stock motor??

I will let the professionals weigh in on that but I thought that was asking for a blow up.

As for the MCOR, as a temporary fix as well as for diagnosis, try shutting off the key, put the cart in neutral, and pump the go pedal about 20 - 50 times.

If your surging goes away, your MCOR is on it's way out. If that has no affect on your surging, I would guess it is in the program settings. Professionals can help with that question as well.

How do I know, LOL. Mine is definitely on the way out, just need to order the part and get it done as they say.

AFLYER
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Im planning on upgrading the motor in the future, but I think the stock motor will be fine as long as I don't get it in a stall situation or up any steep inclines. It will only receive high amperage if it asks for it. I got this controller for $150 so I couldn't turn it down. I'll try what you suggested by pumping the pedal. Thanks
Old 09-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatlock00 View Post
Im planning on upgrading the motor in the future, but I think the stock motor will be fine as long as I don't get it in a stall situation or up any steep inclines. It will only receive high amperage if it asks for it. I got this controller for $150 so I couldn't turn it down. I'll try what you suggested by pumping the pedal. Thanks
Turn it down is what you should do Put max armature amps at 400 or your stock motor will commit suicide gobbling up all the amperage it can

The trouble is well documented. This controller does not play well with the MCOR until you fix the MCOR signal as Sergio has suggested. I tried it in my 05 and was just amazed how smooth a true 5k-0 signal actually was. Cost me just a few dollars. Ask Sergio for the updated diagram.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #5
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Turn it down is what you should do Put max armature amps at 400 or your stock motor will commit suicide gobbling up all the amperage it can

The trouble is well documented. This controller does not play well with the MCOR until you fix the MCOR signal as Sergio has suggested. I tried it in my 05 and was just amazed how smooth a true 5k-0 signal actually was. Cost me just a few dollars. Ask Sergio for the updated diagram.
Thanks Scotty, I'll turn it down tomorrow. On the dcx do I just turn down output current to around 60%?
Old 09-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Bmatlock00, this is the modification You need on the MCOR 3-pin harness to smooth the DCX throttle response:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1368077
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Bmatlock00, this is the modification You need on the MCOR 3-pin harness to smooth the DCX throttle response:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1368077
Thank you Sergio, will this also fix the dead spot in the first half of the pedal?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It should, if you look at the graph I did showing the modified resistance range, if the Alltrax Controller does not engage until the MCOR is at 5kΩ, that does not happen until about 40% pedal travel.

The modified version shifts that to around 5% pedal travel.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Is this the correct connector I would need to make an adapter? Also does it matter what wattage the 20k ohm resistor is rated for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0387.jpg (16.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Use a 20kΩ x 1/2 watt metal film resistor, although any composition resistor like carbon will also work.

You can either make an adapter using those 3-pin Deutsch connectors you posted or just cut the existing wires near the MCOR and solder the resistor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car