lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
RXLuke
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Speed Magnet

Hello Everybody!

I have a 2008 precedent that has an upgraded 5hp AMD motor. I clock 19mph on flat ground/regen braking downhill and 12-14mph up steep hills.

My question is... Do I already have the speed code 4 setting of 19mph max , or am I acheiving that just due to the extra power of the motor? The reason I am asking is if I can get 2-3 more mph and negate the regen system by adding a quality speed magnet from somebody like scottyb, then I'd be tickled pink. As he has previously stated though, speed code 4 and a speed magnet will really have no describable difference when run together.

Thanks!
RXLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Speed Magnet Help

You must have #4 or the controller would still be limiting your speed. The motor is still governed by the controller. (Unless I am missing something)

But if you put 22" or 23" tires, you are going to be exactly where you want to be....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Speed Magnet Help

I think you already have speed code 4 due to the 19mph.
Unless you are running larger tires and on speed code 3, that might get you 19mph.

If this and IQ system then you can do the magnet and eliminate regen.
Or you can have some parameters adjusted to reduce the effect.

The higher HP motor is still limited by the controller and speed sensor magnet pulses.
If you put the magnet in you will achieve higher motor/rpms which that motor may like.
Careful going downhill as over reving the motor could occur as regen will not kick in.

You could have the dealer scan it and tell.
Do you have code stickers somewhere that would indicate a speed code 4 update?
The magnet upgrade on an AMD motor is easy if you find you are on code 3.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Speed Magnet

Which model motor did you purchase? High speed motors for the IQ system already have speed magnets in them, which renders the speed setting useless, unless it's on speed setting 1.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #5
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Which model motor did you purchase? High speed motors for the IQ system already have speed magnets in them, which renders the speed setting useless, unless it's on speed setting 1.
Since RX stated downhill/regen braking I thought it would have a stock 8 pole magnet.
Maybe it's an upgraded torque motor and not a speed motor.
Thanks Tahoe!
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The AMD 5 hp motor advertises 24 mph with speed code 4. You may have code 3, but David says these motors have high speed magnet. I really don't know. I have a AMD 3294 with 350 amp Curtis controller and it will hold 25 + on level ground. It does limit the speed to that you can feel the motor braking kick in at a little over 26 when going down hill.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #7
RXLuke
Getting Wild

Club Car

Here is a photo Dave. Don't know much else other than it was a replacement for a burnt stock motor. Is this enough info for your diagnostic opinion?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1683.jpg (201.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
RXLuke
Getting Wild

Club Car

BBTW guys,

Upgraded wheels are now 10" but still 18.5" circumference. No alterations to anything other than the motor. I appreciate all advice and help!
Old 07-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXLuke View Post
Here is a photo Dave. Don't know much else other than it was a replacement for a burnt stock motor. Is this enough info for your diagnostic opinion?
It's definitely not a factory motor. I'm not sure of the internal specifics of some of the AMD high speed motors.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:39 AM   #10
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
The AMD 5 hp motor advertises 24 mph with speed code 4. You may have code 3, but David says these motors have high speed magnet. I really don't know. I have a AMD 3294 with 350 amp Curtis controller and it will hold 25 + on level ground. It does limit the speed to that you can feel the motor braking kick in at a little over 26 when going down hill.
That is the same motor I have. I am pretty sure it has a stock magnet, mine sure seems like it has. You can really wake it up with a larger controller.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car