lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
slammer55616
Not Yet Wild

Default Deep cycle in cart ****!

I bought a 2003 Club Car last summer. I test drove it on level ground and it ran great. When I took it on the course, it flew downhill but struggled mightily to go uphill. through this site, and talking to a few others, I found that the guy I bought it from switched over from 6-8 volt batteries to 4-12 volt batteries..and had put boards in the box to hold them..until I saw that he replaced them with regular deep cycle napa batteries. (caveat emptor) At the end of the season, I let a guy use and it died on the course. He towed it home. I hooked up the battery charger and left it. Didnt realize it didnt charge. Anyway, it sat that way over the winter. Batts didnt freeze. Today, I tried to charge and the charger wouldnt kick on. I am in the process of charging each battery individually. Once they are charged (10 amp setting), will the charger kick on?

Im not too concerned about the batteries as I am going to replace them with 8 volt batteries and new cables but I wondered if there is any damage to the charger or other electronics...or if the idiot I bought it from hacked up the frame... actually he's not the idiot, I am for not checking these things beforehand... thanks for any help....

Im sorry such a long post but I wanted to give good background.
slammer55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Deep cycle in cart ****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer55616 View Post
I bought a 2003 Club Car last summer. I test drove it on level ground and it ran great. When I took it on the course, it flew downhill but struggled mightily to go uphill. through this site, and talking to a few others, I found that the guy I bought it from switched over from 6-8 volt batteries to 4-12 volt batteries..and had put boards in the box to hold them..until I saw that he replaced them with regular deep cycle napa batteries. (caveat emptor) At the end of the season, I let a guy use and it died on the course. He towed it home. I hooked up the battery charger and left it. Didnt realize it didnt charge. Anyway, it sat that way over the winter. Batts didnt freeze. Today, I tried to charge and the charger wouldnt kick on. I am in the process of charging each battery individually. Once they are charged (10 amp setting), will the charger kick on?

Im not too concerned about the batteries as I am going to replace them with 8 volt batteries and new cables but I wondered if there is any damage to the charger or other electronics...or if the idiot I bought it from hacked up the frame... actually he's not the idiot, I am for not checking these things beforehand... thanks for any help....

Im sorry such a long post but I wanted to give good background.
No damage should have been done to any electronics. As long as the battery trays are in good shape, you should be able to drop six new 8 volts in it and it should be good to go! Six 8s give you more run time and longer life...

As for why the charger didn't kick on, it is probably because the batts were so discharged that the charger didn't recognize them. I think it needs at least 46v to kick on.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
slammer55616
Not Yet Wild

thanks... Just got in from the garage and, lo and behold, its taking a charge..I cant stand the thought of something "cobbed" so I have to replace those darn batteries. Thinking 4 ga wires and, because a very good friend owns an Auto Value, Im going to get the batts from him..probably Daka? I cant remember what he told me but said they were made in the usa and are very good batts... thanks for the help, I am truly a newbie. If the boat doesnt need alot this spring, the mods on the cart will begin!
slammer55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I think they are called Deka, and I have heard good things about them. Just be sure to break them in properly when you get them and maintain them and they should last a long time...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Tell him you want a high amp hour capacity rating. The only worse than the wrong battery is a small battery. Get T105 Equivalent (220 amp hours)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car