lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2019, 05:31 AM   #1
Aussiegav
Not Yet Wild

Default Columbia Electric PARCAR Diode Smoking

Hi Guys/Gals, This is my first post so please be gentle. I am also from Australia so gday from Down Under.

I purchased one of your American Chariots to get me around the golf course but have run into some problems that Im hoping you can help me with.

Ok so I bought this cart knowing it had an electronic issue and would only go backweards and not forward and would keep blowing the fuse on the yellow wire that goes to the tow/untow switch.

I tested and worked out that the forward solenoid internal coil was stuffed so have purchased a new solenoid. Fitted the solenoid and still nothing, not even a click of the main solenoid. I have attached a photo of my wiring diagram and cant work out why the diode between the two wires for the tow/untow switch gets that hot once i put the positive battery terminal on the 36V system. It doesn't matter if the switch is in tow or untow or even if the wires are removed from the switch or even if the ignition is in the off position, the diode starts smoking it gets so hot.

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PARCAR Wiring Diagram 36V-page-001.jpg (176.8 KB, 0 views)
Aussiegav is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Default Re: Columbia Electric PARCAR Diode Smoking

Here's an older bulletin on diode and controller
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
Aussiegav
Not Yet Wild

Thanks very much for the update. Will check it out, thanks
Old 04-02-2019, 03:28 AM   #4
Aussiegav
Not Yet Wild

Can anyone tell me what the components I have circled in BLUE are called and where I would get replacements from or maybe how I could test them. I beleive this is where my short is situated.

Even better, can these be bypassed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PARCAR Wiring Diagram 36V001.JPG (49.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Those are modules for regen. No longer available. But look at the attached diagram from the 96-2000 manual. Basically the same setup without the regen. It might be some time invested but in theory you might be able to rewire to match this diagram and bypass those modules.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages from CPC_Manual_Parts_1996_2000.pdf (435.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
Aussiegav
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Tech Support.

Can you see any downside of rewiring as per the diagram you sent through and by-passing the regen modules?

The cart is only being used on the golf course and not street driven. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

IMO, the regen is a lot of hype when being sold as a way to restore power to the batteries. As a motor braking idea however, I love it. The newer carts can be programmed with that feature so when driving on streets it means you aren't always hitting the brake pedal. For the golf course though, honestly I wouldn't worry about it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar