lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
Aggie wh08p
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Installing Blinkers/Brake Lights on Existing LED lights

Hey folks…
I have a quick question for y’all in regards to my tail lights and blinkers for my 2009 Ezgo Rxv

Right now, I have this regular LED basic light kit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/221459084475) for $120. This is what the guy installed on the cart when I bought it a few weeks ago. This basic kit just has headlights and the taillights come on when the headlights are on. They do not have working brake lights. However, these headlights have a 2nd LED bulb for a blinkers and the taillights are setup for brake lights and regular night time running lights.

What I am wanting to do is upgrade from the basic light kit to an actual blinkers and brake lights kit(right now the tail lights only come on with the head lights-not when you brake)

I found this kit for $170, but I don't really need all new headlights and tail lights. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/331633800034) Mine are already setup for brake lights and blinkers. I just need the blinker lever/switch (goes on steering column) and the harness to connect it all. Also, I need the brake pad switch. Does anyone sell them to me separately?

Right now, these are the wires I have exposed and I assume they go to the blinkers and brake lights
Right under the cup holder, I have a black, red and purple wire not connected to anything
Further behind that, I have a 9 pin adapter, a black wire, a purple wire and a double red wire with an adapter.
Then under the steering wheel I have this last adapter with gray, red and black wires.

Sooo, knowing all of this, do any of you know what I need to do to get my blinkers working? I read another post on here about how I might need to insert a 12v relay…is that accurate?

Here is the other post I was referring to:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ke-lights.html

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2076.JPG (143.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2077.JPG (89.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2078.JPG (110.7 KB, 0 views)
Aggie wh08p is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2015, 11:18 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default re: Installing Blinkers/Brake Lights on Existing LED lights

you need a electronic flasher to make leds work

most sponsors have turn / brake kits
Old 10-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Aggie wh08p
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks for the info.

Are you saying I need this flasher for my blinkers? Or to get my brake lights to work?

I thought it was a relay according to some of the wiring diagrams I've found to get my brake lights to work
Old 10-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I did exactally what you are trying to do just the other day. I will get some pics & post all the info this evening.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
Aggie wh08p
Not Yet Wild

Thank you!!!!!
That would help a bunch!
Old 10-02-2015, 12:33 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Im working on some stuff for you. My home internet has been intermittently down for 2 days. Are you planning on using the turn signal head designed for that light kit? (i suggest you do, it will be easiest). What i did was wired to only make the brake lights work with the original rxv brake light activation system (red & purple wires from ezgo harness, no added switches at brake pedal), with the intention of being able to plug the aftermarket turn signal head into the aftermarket light wiring later if desired, and have it all work with no other modifications. I dont have the turn signal head (the part that goes on the steering column). What i made just makes the brake lights work now, with the option of plugging the intended aftermarket turn signal head in later, if desired. I used all "real ezgo parts", some as intended (brake light relay), some slightly modified (ezgo rxv "loopback" plug). The original idea from ezgo was to have the motor controller turn the brake lights on & off based on its idea of the brake pedal position. They used a 24v relay (i have tried others, didnt work, either would not turn on, or would not turn off correctly). I suggest using only the relay ezgo used, because it is controlled by the motor controller, and you can easily damage the controller by using its outputs in ways it wasnt intended. I will add more..
Old 10-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Ezgo PN 604110 for the relay (will be needed for brake lights controlled by cart wires). I modified a rxv diag port plug for the "jumper plug" to make it work without the turn signal head (wont be needed if you get the turn signal head for your light kit). Warning: drawings "might" be on the bottom of a pizza box. Be back soon.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:05 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Sorry my pics/drawings arent better, time constraints while im at work...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151001_091310_593.jpg (64.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151001_091254_305.jpg (127.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151001_091303_530.jpg (62.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151001_091242_744.jpg (46.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-02-2015, 01:07 AM   #9
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie wh08p View Post
Ok thanks for the info.

Are you saying I need this flasher for my blinkers? Or to get my brake lights to work?

I thought it was a relay according to some of the wiring diagrams I've found to get my brake lights to work
blinkers
follow cgtech's advice
he knows about the led turn signals ... can enplane better than me
Old 10-02-2015, 01:15 AM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Heres the rest of pics...pizza box, as promised. You wont need to jump pins 2-3-4 when you plug the turn sigmal head in. I made my "jumper plug" to make brake lights work with the easy option of adding turn signal head later if desired (clip zip-tie, throw away jumper, plug new "signal head" in). If its too stoopid or confusing, just ask. I'll try....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151001_230711_205.jpg (192.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151001_230648_923.jpg (213.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151001_230639_243.jpg (208.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO