lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
lacofdfireman
Not Yet Wild

Default Fire Truck "Tillered" Golf Cart (Photo Inside)

I have been thinking of buying a used golf cart and building a trailer so I can have some fun with my kids. As you can probably tell by my username I am a Fireman in Los Angeles and was a Tillerman (The guy that drives the back end of a ladder truck) for many years. My kids have ridden back there with me and had a blast. I have always thought it would be fun to build a golf cart into a Tiller truck ever since I saw this one that this guy in our department built. It's actually has to be steered from the front and back just like a real Tillered Fire Truck. I was talking to this guy today and he said he was thinking of selling it and said he might let it go for about $4K. Do you think this is worth it? Also it's a 36v and needs all new batteries. It also has working red lights and Siren, Stereo and PA system. He said he has about $8-9K invested in this and uses it in parades and Fire Service Day etc. Would love to hear some feedback as I am new to Golf Carts. Could I build this cheaper than he is willing to sell it for?

Sorry it won't let me post a link until I have been a member for 7 days. Can someone else post it for me? Just go to Photobucket and type in lacofdfireman and it will let you go to my gallery and there is a photo of it there... Thanks
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Fire Truck "Tillered" Golf Cart (Photo Inside)

The problem with one off builds is they are worth exactly what the next guy will pay. Is it 4k worth of fun for you and your kids? Could you replicate it if not improve on the design for that kind of money? Those are the 2 main questions you have to ask yourself. I do that and run a list of honest pro's and con's. Math makes decisions easier for me. If you click on "go advanced" next to post reply you can then choose manage attachments and load pics that way. I'm sure we'd all love to see pics. And just wanted to say thanks for what you do. Fire fighters are some of the last true heroes in this world. You will run into a burning building risking your own life for another no matter if they are drug dealers or nobel piece prize winners. So thank you from the bottom of my heart.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
lacofdfireman
Not Yet Wild

Photo of Fire Truck Tillered Golf Cart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf Cart.jpg (215.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
lacofdfireman
Not Yet Wild

Personally I dont think I could duplicate this. I don't know how to weld. I would love to have this setup but my wife would really like it to be able to unattach from the trailer and have seats in the back so the entire family can ride on just the cart together. This won't happen with this Cart. And if you are going to have a tillered cart it won't happen with any at all because you need the fifth wheel part to attach up high so you can turn sharp. You can't just have a bumper pull trailer.. I just don't really know the value of Golf Carts at this point to know if it's worth $4k plus batteries. Also I just don't know how often a Golf Cart is going to eat up batteries pulling a trailer like this around. I am sure there has to be a pretty big drain on a 36v system pulling this trailer around.. Thanks for showing me another way to post up a Pic. You can see what it looks like now.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There is a lot of work in that machine. I would venture to guess he is right about the amount of investment, not including his time. That said, other than a few times enjoying it with family, would you have any other use for it? As an investment, it probably isn't worth it. If, on the other hand, you could find a way to use it more often, maybe even rent it out as a novelty ride at street fairs, etc. it may be more than worth the asking price.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

good lookin rig.

as far as the trialer if you could modify it to where the trailer comes off adn you could put portable seat on the deck that would help out the wife's concern.

Batteries will cost 650.00, wires another 40.00. so lets just say for another 700 w/o tax, you could have a punctioning rig. But as stated are you gonna enjoy riding this around your neighborhood?
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That fire truck is sweet. Like the others said though, there is a lot of fabrication in that rig.
If your not a big fabricator, one way to get the job done would be to recruit the talent needed. You'd be more of a project manager. And you'd have to negotiate the price of bringing everyone's talent into the budget. Maybe you could call in favors or barter for some of it. Materials might actually cost you some cash though.

I would think that $4k for that particular cart is a pretty fair price, only because it's original & all the work that went into it. The fact that it's 36v can limit it though.... in speed & distance. You could upgrade it to 48v for a bit more than the price of the batteries. There is plenty of info on this site to help you accomplish that too. I think I could figure out a way to add a rear seat that could be removed fairly easily to allow you to pull the gooseneck trailer.

If you Google the phrase "golf cart fire truck" there are a few of these babies around. Some are more simple than others. I didn't find any with the tiller so you'd be very original there.

AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That looks better then I had pictured. If it were me I'd probably end up with it. You can always build a back seat that will sit over your 5th wheel. I'd also probably end up converting it to 48 volt if not 72 but I'm crazy like that. I'd more be doing it for run times then raw power.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No way, no how could you build that for the 4k he's asking. GRAB IT before he changes his mind!
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
cjnfiremn
Getting Wild

Club Car

What a great looking cart!! I would love to own that thing!! Im a Fire Captain here in Louisiana. I have always wanted to drive the tillmans position, I could do that with that there! If I had that I would have to build a latter on it!! Boy I can only dream to own one like that!!

Oh and Thank You for your service Sir!
cjnfiremn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO