lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
badboy72811
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default 96 yamaha g-16 -idle issue

i just got done cleaning the carb and got the golf cart to run smooth without the choke,but now there is no low speed idle.i was thinking of changing the spark plug ,but i really don t think that will make a difference. there is a adjustment screw on the top corner of the carb torwards the back of the motor ,it has a plastic piece on it to keep it from being turned to far either way, does anyone know what this is for?
badboy72811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
G2Rebel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 96 yamaha g-16 -idle issue

That is the air fuel mixture screw. When you say no low speed idle do you mean it's jerky on take off?
G2Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Make sure you have a good seal to the cylinder, and if there is a spacer it is not cracked. I like to set the idle speed so it just idles above the starter, it is a very slow idle it barely runs. This was in the manual for G1 but not later 4 cycles. They start better and you can't putt around on the starter and kill the battery that way because it is running. It should not take off unless you have a clutch issue. Adjust the idle mixture if needed. You should have about 1" of travel at the top of the pedal from starting to when the pedal starts to open the carb, the cable usually adjusted under the floor panel. Check that before you adjust the carb. Some of this stuff gets all messed up because people think they can make the cart go 60mph by adjusting it, and of course they can't.

This is how my cart idles in neutral, it idles slower in gear.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
badboy72811
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

yes it is very jerky on take off,once your moving though it runs fine. i cant go slow with it cause of the jerking
Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Make sure the throttle is not being opened at the carb before or while it starts, that is often the cause. The engine should start (idle very slow) with the pedal and not move, or run on the starter and not take off until the pedal is pushed down more.

It that is not the case then you need to check the primary clutch or other clutch issue they are not working right. Note that a new belt can be sticky for a while until it sees some wear and/or dust to normalize it.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
badboy72811
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

i just put a new belt on it.i still need to try to adjust the throttle cable so i have that inch of play in the pedal
Old 02-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Actually that is how I tell when to grease my clutches, when it does not fall back out when I stop and it starts dragging at idle....I put a pump or two in both.

New sticky belt might engage sooner for a while but it should not jerk.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
badboy72811
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

so if my clutches are fine .i should beable to grease them and adjust my gas pedal and that should do it. i did try to run the pedal cable directly to the carb to get more power and bypass the govener,but the ends of the cables were different so i had to put everything back together.i am pretty sure that is when i got the gas pedal out of adjustment

Tags
no low speed idle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha