lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #31
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: g16 smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarch42 View Post
hey dave thanks...ok..now ..i messed up a few things...i did not mark which push rod came from which side..also the lifters...( a bit excided when i was taking it apart) does it really mater??? ok..also again...green dot and yellow dot...which ring goes where???? help:
Good morning! No worries on push rods and lifters, doesn't matter witch side you install them. The ring end gap should be (.001 to .003 with a limit of .004 thousanths). I'm sorry to say the factory service manual does not "call for" 1st and second ring "color" specs. It does "spec" that (be shure to install the rings so the manufacturer's marks or numbers are located on the top side of the rings), useually a "R". See attatched ring spacing chart. Make shure the "arrow" is pointed forward/push rod side. Use a piston ring compressor and "gently" tap the piston/rod assy into the cylinder. Use alot of oil ! Rod bolt torque is 14 ft lbs. Put in lifters, cam, balancer. With the piston at "TDC" your cam/crank/balancer marks should make a "V" alignment. If your happy and convinced the "timing is right, install the case gasket (note it has sealant on sections of the gasket, this stops future gasket "blow out") install the side case. Torque the 12mm head bolts to 19 ft lbs and the 14mm head bolts to 27 ft lbs. The head gasket has a "hump" to it and the "hump" should face upward. Torque the head bolts to 36 ft lbs. Install the push rods/rocker arms and pin. Take out the spark plug and (useing a screwdriver) turn over the engine to "top dead center", the valves (both intake and exhaust) are set at .004 thousanths when cold. My recomndation is turn over the engine several times and recheck the valve clearance. Now valve cover,shrouding. Man you are ready to reinstall the engine! Add the qt of oil and crank it up!!! You may find it still smokes alittle, rember you put alot of oil to lubricate the rings and the muffler may still have some left from previus oil problem. Let us know what happens. Later Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_0531Image0001.jpg (38.8 KB, 36 views)
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #32
emarch42
Not Yet Wild

hey dave.,,, well she is running.... it seems to be good.... the rings...yes they ere worn..i was looking at thickness..not depth...and depth they were worn...but all looks good..i have to say thank you...if i could i would buy you a beer..you help me alot... ok... now..the governer,,,,can i crank it up..or is that a bad thing to do??? i see there are like clips you can buy to bypass..a bad thing????
emarch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #33
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
hey dave.,,, well she is running.... it seems to be good.... the rings...yes they ere worn..i was looking at thickness..not depth...and depth they were worn...but all looks good..i have to say thank you...if i could i would buy you a beer..you help me alot... ok... now..the governer,,,,can i crank it up..or is that a bad thing to do??? i see there are like clips you can buy to bypass..a bad thing????
Congradulations !!!! I'm gald to hear your satisfied ! I would recommend you let the rings "break in" before govenor work. After that, you can "turn in" the 10mm nut on the govenor (threaded rod) from showing about 1 inch of threads (10 to 12 mph) to 3 1/2 to 4 inches of threads showing (16/17/18/19 mph). You could also purchase Tom's "CPP" govenor spring. At less than 20.00 bucks, it is another option (the "stiffer" spring doesn't alow the internal weights to "pull back" the accelrator cable #2, that goes to the carb.), but I feel the accelerator pedal "feel" is much "stiffer". Or you could "bypass" the govenor by installing accelerator cable #1 directly to the carberator. The first "sticky" in Yamaha gas section devotes to this.
You have many options to chose from. I do not "buypass" govenors on "stock" engine power plants...I'm not willing to "over rev" the engine. Read the posts and you decide. It's been my pleasure to help in the small way I did. Let see some pic's of your car! Later dave
Old 06-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #34
emarch42
Not Yet Wild

hey dave...well thanks again..and it was not small...i knew i could do it..but you gave the go...to do it...you saved me big money..i was going to pay 800 to rebuild..or buy i rebuilt for 550. plus shipping...so thanks... and i am with you..i prefer not to screw with govenor...do you know what it should be set at for saftety??? i have the kids on it..and i know they just hold it to the floor all day...
thanks ,Manny
emarch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #35
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
hey dave...well thanks again..and it was not small...i knew i could do it..but you gave the go...to do it...you saved me big money..i was going to pay 800 to rebuild..or buy i rebuilt for 550. plus shipping...so thanks... and i am with you..i prefer not to screw with govenor...do you know what it should be set at for saftety??? i have the kids on it..and i know they just hold it to the floor all day...
thanks ,Manny
Your welcome ...again. Look at my last post for the govenor adjustments. If you want it slow just have a 1/2 inch of threads showing on the govenor adjustment threaded rod. Have fun with your "rebuilt" toy !!!! Dave
Old 06-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #36
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You gotta excuse me.......
I think I'm gonna
I just happy endings.

Good job, Guys !
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #37
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You gotta excuse me.......
I think I'm gonna
I just happy endings.

Good job, Guys !
Didn't mean to make you cry! I'll agree..I like a happy ending also! Now when is your engine rebuild starting ? Later Dave
Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #38
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm afraid I'm not getting alot of shop time lately. Work is interfering with my play time. And then there is honey-dos........Soon I hope, gotta finish the trailer first. The shop assembly table covered with a ramp gate......

I am very impressed by what emarch24 has done here in so little time!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha