lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Yamaha G1 project

I just picked up a G1 for $700. I've become pretty good at working on old club cars but the G1 is a different beast altogether! Where do I start? Not sure of the exact year but guessing 79-81. Guy I purchased it from got it on trade and only had it for a short time. Claimed it ran but needs carb work. Turn key and cart starts but that as far as I got. Figured I would go over the entire system, do basic tuneup, before firing it up. The first thing I noticed after I got this cart home was a gasket falling out the bottom of the exhaust pipe. It was covered in dirt and mud obviously been there a long time. Because this cart supposedly ran, but ran rough.. could this faulty gasket have been the cause?? I know its a shot in the dark but how nice it would be if this was the main cause for the carts poor performance. Further, inspection revealed a new air filter, new tires, carb looks clean, fuel pumps been replaced .. obviously, someone has worked on this G1. Other than replacing the exhaust gasket any other suggestions on what I should also replace just to play it safe? once cleaned up and put back together, If this cart does not engage.. where would I start?
SLYS FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 project

Wow congrats! G1's are classics. Tough carts. I have attached the repair manual, you'll need to read through that.

I would do the following:

1. eliminate/disconnect/remove auto oil injection system and premix your 2 cycle oil at a ratio of 100:1 with premium fuel. The factory oil injector system can fail and leave you with a burned up engine. The Yamaha manual states that the factory oil injector mixes at between 150:1 and 300:1 depending upon rpm etc. Use high quality "synthetic air cooled 2 cycle oil" like Echo brand. (see page 1-20 of manual)

2. run the cart, drive the cart see how it does, update this thread

3. don't forget to check the belts and brakes

4. if the carb is a "Mikuni" then keep that carb and clean it and rebuilt it if needed. it the carb is "Mokini" you might want to replace it with "Mikuni". Mokuni is a china fake and is not usually very good.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yamaha G1 Repair Manual(1).pdf (18.94 MB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:52 PM   #3
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

I thought about doing away with the oil injection system but I am reading a lot of varying opinions ?? some say don't disconnect it, the oil mixture needs to be precise... others say .. get rid of it and use pre-mix gas? Personally I feel one less part to worry about just makes life easier, however, how critical is mixing the fuel oil mixture?? using a 1-gallon gas can as an example, how much oil would I mix in?
I also noticed, browsing through G1 youtube videos, some carts have a large hose coming from the carburetor going to the air filter ??? My cart does not have that hose..? I do not see that hose mentioned in the manual, and it doesn't look like the air filter even has a connection for it? am I missing something???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5529.jpg (188.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-04-2020, 12:04 AM   #4
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

I think I answered my own question. Looking at this picture it appears I should have a hose running to the top of the air filter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg missing air hose.jpg (91.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-04-2020, 12:17 AM   #5
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

here are a couple more pictures I need help withoil leak.jpg

gasket falling out.jpg . oil leak? Is this an adjustment? The screw lifts up and turns but it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

if you look at the bottom left of the exhaust manifold, it's hard to see, but covered in grease you will see the gasket I discovered after I got the cart home. I can't imagine how that could possibly happen ! it looks like it's been there for a long time. Has anyone ever heard of the gasket coming out of the manifold?? and would this have affected the cart running?
Old 07-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Did you open and read the service manual?

I posted the mixing ratios for the fuel above in a previous post. As far as to disconnect or not? That's your decision. As these carts get old, the tiny moving parts of the oil injection system get old and worn too. The problem is, if the oil injector fails....you have a burned up engine. I've never had one fail, but then again, I've always disconnected them and premixed at 100:1.

The "grease" you see is oil from the engine leaking out of the crank seal. It's a rubber seal. They get old and leak. It looks like grease because dirt and dust has built up on it making it thick. Common issue. It probably needs new crank seals, there are two on each side of the engine.

I've never heard of a gasket just falling out. Someone must have loosened the flange at some point.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha