lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax & FNKS settings - mild, medium, & wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr3 View Post
Great, thanks ScottyB!
I have spoken with tech and we are waiting for a quality answer from engineering. Be patient - Mondays are crazy
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I have spoken with tech and we are waiting for a quality answer from engineering. Be patient - Mondays are crazy
Nothing yet from the gurus at Alltrax?
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #13
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

While we're waiting set your regen to 17 amps.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Nothing as definitive as I was hoping to relay. Alltrax replied as follows:

60mp hour batteries (cheap fleet batteries) set regen to 60-65amps is fine

Larger vehicle may need a bit more

100amp hour batteries (75, 80 & 90 depending on manufacturer) can use 100amp regen.

Larger batteries like River and other 120-150amp batt packs can handle 2C without issue, larger mass takes more to build up heat.

For cars general rule:

Stock 50-60amp hours is plenty

Lifted 75 to 120 Amps regen typical

All depends on field.

However that being said that is the general rule. Some high speed motors don’t lend well to regen because they are gapped and advanced to the hilt. Limit regen for HS motors 60amps.

Warning: regen is required to maintain speed hauling *** downhill at full throttle. I found lifted 23” tires 62-65 was bare minimum to prevent over speed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #15
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Thanks for your follow-up, scottyb. It works for me. I'll change my form and upload it tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #16
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

After readjusting the regen settings (thanks scottyB), I think I 've finally got it where I want it - at least until I upgrade the motor:

Normal mode is smooth and safe with enough regen to control downhill speeds.

User 1 is faster and more responsive, but I left the regen dialed up for downhill safety and less wear and tear on the brakes.

User 2 is just plain fun and with enough regen to help slow down a little when needed.

I've attached the revised form in case anyone wants to use it or use the settings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alltrax FNKS Tuning.pdf (859.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #17
Harley51
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Dang, I can’t see your settings. When I open the pdf the fields are blank. Any chance you could make a screen shot and post that?

Oops never mind, got it
Harley51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have been on vacation and missed this thread, but here are my thoughts.

Lead acid batteries can take a lot of current during Regen, specially since the actual AH returned to the batteries is minimum due to the amount of time the event takes place (10 secs @ 240 amps is about 0.7AH.)

Since I only use my Regen current for braking (coasts freely), I have mine set to 220 amps Armature and 120 amps battery.

The way the Altrax firmware mitigates the various settings interactions, the "Battery Amps" settings apply more to higher speed (above 2000 rpm or so) and the "Armature Amps" will control the lower speed "effect" since the Controller can apply the higher current to the Armature and just PWM the current down to the battery.

That means I have 220 amps of Regen brake as the cart slows down to come to a stop but never return more than 120 amps to the batteries at any time which gives me a smoother braking action.

I have also noticed the effect of the Regen brake is affected by the "Throttle Rate", so a higher throttle rate means the Regen brake happens a lot faster than at a lower throttle rate.

I keep my throttle rate around 40% for the best brake effect as well as prevent the stock motor from heating unnecessarily during acceleration.

For motoring I have my mode (1) set for "Battery Amps = 300" and "Armature Amps = 400", that gives me more lower end torque (400 amps) and prevents my motor from using more than 300 amps at full speed.

I also have my "normal mode", the default mode if the cable is unplugged from the controller, set to disable the cart and just use use 2 modes, mine (1) and guests (2).

The best way I found to fine tune for my driving needs after I calculated the physical throttle position based on my max RPM settings for each mode was to actually use the Alltrax monitor with throttle position and curves updating live so I could see exactly where in the curve I was on certain locations I drive where throttle control was a little challenging.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #19
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I have been on vacation and missed this thread, but here are my thoughts.

Lead acid batteries can take a lot of current during Regen, specially since the actual AH returned to the batteries is minimum due to the amount of time the event takes place (10 secs @ 240 amps is about 0.7AH.)

Since I only use my Regen current for braking (coasts freely), I have mine set to 220 amps Armature and 120 amps battery.

The way the Altrax firmware mitigates the various settings interactions, the "Battery Amps" settings apply more to higher speed (above 2000 rpm or so) and the "Armature Amps" will control the lower speed "effect" since the Controller can apply the higher current to the Armature and just PWM the current down to the battery.

That means I have 220 amps of Regen brake as the cart slows down to come to a stop but never return more than 120 amps to the batteries at any time which gives me a smoother braking action.

I have also noticed the effect of the Regen brake is affected by the "Throttle Rate", so a higher throttle rate means the Regen brake happens a lot faster than at a lower throttle rate.

I keep my throttle rate around 40% for the best brake effect as well as prevent the stock motor from heating unnecessarily during acceleration.

For motoring I have my mode (1) set for "Battery Amps = 300" and "Armature Amps = 400", that gives me more lower end torque (400 amps) and prevents my motor from using more than 300 amps at full speed.

I also have my "normal mode", the default mode if the cable is unplugged from the controller, set to disable the cart and just use use 2 modes, mine (1) and guests (2).

The best way I found to fine tune for my driving needs after I calculated the physical throttle position based on my max RPM settings for each mode was to actually use the Alltrax monitor with throttle position and curves updating live so I could see exactly where in the curve I was on certain locations I drive where throttle control was a little challenging.
How long will a stock motor last with the Alltrax 500 controller?
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:05 PM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

At least a year by next month

I actually did a lot of driving tests and logs to figure out when the motor could no longer deliver a noticeable difference.

The ADC stock motor can handle 300 amps easily and the 400 amps of Armature deliver a noticeable acceleration at lower speeds.

Keeping the throttle rate conservative also helps the motor stay closer to its efficiency range.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car