lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Why no "maintenance free" cart batteries?

Maybe they are avail? But if not, I'd like to know why?
Thanks
Jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Why no "maintenance free" cart batteries?

Deep cycle golf batteries need to be charged up to a voltage that will get into gassing range. This is when they consume water. Maintenance free batteries have have no way to replace that water.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

They do make sealed lead acid with electrolyte that is not fluid. Fullriver is a good one. But the charger profile must match those to prevent voltages that would cause electrolyte loss (it still can't be replaced).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:32 AM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

"Maintenance Free" means you must replace it when the electrolyte dries out. There is a heavy price to pay for the "idea" of maintenance free batteries. If you think that maintenance free lead acid batteries will last longer than flooded lead acid batteries that require maintenance, you're misinformed.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
"Maintenance Free" means you must replace it when the electrolyte dries out. There is a heavy price to pay for the "idea" of maintenance free batteries. If you think that maintenance free lead acid batteries will last longer than flooded lead acid batteries that require maintenance, you're misinformed.

cause if you want to be or get REAL anal about battery maintenance....you can make a battery last WAY more than the expected life time. My Uncle did. he is a long haul trucker.....he worked out of the Chevy plant in St. Louis, he was telling his friends one day how to do it when they were at lunch at the plant, the AC/DELCO rep overheard him.....at that time his OE battery in his 1966 Chevy Truck, which he bought brand new, was still in service in his truck. but what he does, most NORMAL people would never do.....about every 4 years he actually drains the battery, flushes it real good with Demin Water, filters the acid, places it back into the battery, tops it off, and verifies the PH. As I said most people would never go to that extent. The REP, knowing that he had a operating 30 yr old battery (this happened in 1996) offered to buy it from him and give him a brand new battery for every vehicle he owned at the time. He passed.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

When I bought this 2008 RXV flood cart, I took the 2012 batteries from the 2012 RXV that I wrecked and put them into the 2008. I knew they would not last long because when I bought the 2012, I noticed the ends of the batteries were bulging badly, indicating heavy sulphation and plate deformation. They lasted less than 6 months in that 2008 RXV. My battery desulphating technology can break down sulphation and restore electrolyte ph, but it cannot repair plate damage. A couple of months ago, one battery lost a cell (10V) and another lost 2 cells (8V) to internal shorts in the plates. I pulled a set of 4 old 12V batteries from one of my solar power systems that had been in use for 11 years, Mfr date March of 2007. That system had been maintained with my desulphator units and they were still like new. They are now in that 2008 RXV and are beginning a new life. I stiill intend to put a LiFePO4 pack in that RXV, I'm just not ready to put that pack together yet. I will be building the Bandolero pack first.

If someone wants less maintenance, go Lithium! LOL

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good info from all.
Thanks
Old 05-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

They are called AGM batteries. You will also need a charger for AGM batteries.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #9
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have no problem checking my batteries every month but was curious.
I'll go lithium when my pack is done.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO