lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
firemedic247
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default G9 starter generator not charging?

I'm in the final stages of doing a clone swap in my G9 and while doing my final run through of the electrical side I found my starter generator was possiblly not charging, it starts the engine just find. I know it doesn't charge at idle so I ran it up to speed and got nothing. Before I pulled the S/G out I double checked all my wiring and grounds and the S/G belt was tight. I pulled the S/G and inspected the brushes. so here are my Questions. The brushes are worn but I'm not sure when they reach the point of replacing? I completely rewired the cart and drew up my own wiring diagram and not being an electrican it could be wrong but every thing works except the charging part. To double check myself to see if I did it right, how would I check the voltage before the voltage regulator and after the voltage regulator?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151119_214808799.jpg (169.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151119_215332137.jpg (212.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G9 to VC 460 conversion wiring diagram.jpg (156.3 KB, 0 views)
firemedic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #2
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 starter generator not charging?

You missed one wire.

See the attached copy of your drawing that I added the wire to.

Regards,
Todd

Attached Images
File Type: png G9 Clone Charge.png (114.8 KB, 0 views)
Prowlerguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #3
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Otherwise, great job on the wiring diagram!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:17 AM   #4
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

BTW - that one wire is the important one for generator charging.

It takes the power to the S/G excitation field coil. To get the generator to begin producing power, the V/R shorts the green wire to ground and current flows in the excitation field coil of the S/G. That produces a magnetic field that starts the power generation process.

When the V/R no longer "wants" charging to occur it opens the green wire from ground and the magnetic field goes away. Power production stops.

So, the term "voltage regulator" in this application is a bit of a misnomer.

But, anyway, add that wire and your set-up should work fine.

R/Todd
Old 11-20-2015, 01:17 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

A starter/generator that starts your cart can also be able to charge it (if the charge windings are intact, 5 ohm resistance across small red & green wires, i have never seen those fail). Usual issue is in the voltage regulator & its wiring. Your brushes are due for replacement. The groove on them is the official "wear bar", but i have seen plenty not work well when close to the groove. Another way to look at them is if the top of the brush is level with the "guide" they ride in, they are done. I do not think your brushes are at all related to your charging issue, just adding that they are coming up on your "to-do list". The brushes load is about 3-4 times harder to crank the motor than the charging duties (thats why i say "if it will start, it will charge, if the voltage regulator & its wires are working").
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
A starter/generator that starts your cart can also be able to charge it (if the charge windings are intact, 5 ohm resistance across small red & green wires, i have never seen those fail). Usual issue is in the voltage regulator & its wiring.......The brushes load is about 3-4 times harder to crank the motor than the charging duties ........ thats why i say "if it will start, it will charge, if the voltage regulator & its wires are working").
That's a great "rule of thumb" to remember! That's for sharing your experience with this and providing that insight.

Is the brush consumption higher on cranking just because of the higher current loads (electrical) or is there also something mechanical going on there that is causing the faster brush consumption? Just curious.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Higher amp load = higher heat = higher wear
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #8
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Makes sense!
Old 11-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
firemedic247
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Todd and Tech, I figured when I pulled the brushes and they appeared long enough that it was going to be a wiring issue. I checked the Yamaha Diagram and saw where I missed a wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring diagram Yamaha G9A 2 copy.jpg (141.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Yamaha G9 VC 460 Clone wiring diagram.jpg (104.5 KB, 0 views)
firemedic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic247 View Post
Thanks Todd and Tech, I figured when I pulled the brushes and they appeared long enough that it was going to be a wiring issue. I checked the Yamaha Diagram and saw where I missed a wire.
Actually, your drawing was the same as the Yamaha drawing. The Yamaha drawing is not correct, either. It is missing the same wire as your drawing is.

I addressed this in the sticky post about Yamaha wiring diagrams a while back: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...iagrams-4.html

Here's what the Yamaha G9 wiring diagram should look like:

Just FYI for any other thread viewers searching to fix a problem.

Regards,
Todd
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha