lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2019, 05:40 AM   #1
Greek Wizard
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 engine not charging, am I really supposed to polarize the starter/generator?

OK, first time poster, long time reader, and my first one is a long story just to get an idea of what I have gotten myself into.

Sorry in advance for the long post.

I purchased a Yamaha Gas Frankenstein cart, pretty cheap. It's a G9 engine in a G22 Body. The guy that sold it to me, was upfront, he had a G22, that the engine was toasted and found a G9 engine and swapped it in.

Thus lies the beginning of my issues, however I feel I am at the end (hopefully).

When I bought the cart it was not running the best, but I thought the 2 year old gas was bad, but in the end, it was the ignitor, which I changed (and it got a complete tune up), and now the cart runs awesome. However, it just refuses to charge the battery, and I don't think it ever has charged the battery since the guy replaced the engine because the first day I had it, the battery died, but then after charging it outside the cart and putting it back in, nothing would fire, and that's when we figured out it was the ignitor (which when replaced, it fired back up). We assumed because it was not running right, it was not charging the battery, however now that it's running great, it's still not charging, and that causing me issues...LOL

I have checked the battery (with an industrial battery tester), and it came back in good shape, and charges fine outside the cart.

After extensive searches here, and Google, what I have tried...
  1. I have ohmed out the red/white and green wire from Starter/Generator and am getting 6.0 Ohms
  2. I have checked all wires from the starter/generator and can confirm all are good, and I have ohmed out, although I only get 0.4 to 0.2 Ohms on all, not sure if that is correct, but all are similar, with 0.2 being the larger gauge positive and negative wires. I also did Continuity tests on all wires.
  3. I have checked to make sure the guys never wired it incorrectly (positive and negative reversed), as far as I know, the negative is the lower one, and the positive is the one facing front of the cart. The other two are the jumper wire that goes from one side to the other
  4. I have checked voltage from Red/White wire between starter/generator and voltage regulator (r/w wire and ground on battery, and get 0 volts (or maybe 0.4v, I can't remember off hand), but most definitely not 12v. (While cart was running full throttle in neutral).

I think from all my tests it has to be the starter/generator? I mean it's obviously not charging, so I have already ordered a new starter/generator and voltage regulator from DB Electrical in the USA (I live in Canada, so I have to wait to get it).

My concern now is, I saw some posts elsewhere that the generator has top be polarized if the battery, or generator or voltage regulator has ever been unplugged/removed?

Is this really true? If so, although I saw some "generic videos", I can;t figure out how to do on this G9.

Will it work on this older S/G? Will I have to do it when I get the new S/G? Will I have to do this every time I remove the battery?

Is my issue the S/G, or is it possible that's it's wired incorrectly?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just confused right now.

TLDR: G9 Engine will not charge, I think I did enough tested to determine it's the Starter/Generator, but do I have to polarize it? I hope the wiring is correct.
Greek Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha