lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2019, 05:40 AM   #1
Greek Wizard
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 engine not charging, am I really supposed to polarize the starter/generator?

OK, first time poster, long time reader, and my first one is a long story just to get an idea of what I have gotten myself into.

Sorry in advance for the long post.

I purchased a Yamaha Gas Frankenstein cart, pretty cheap. It's a G9 engine in a G22 Body. The guy that sold it to me, was upfront, he had a G22, that the engine was toasted and found a G9 engine and swapped it in.

Thus lies the beginning of my issues, however I feel I am at the end (hopefully).

When I bought the cart it was not running the best, but I thought the 2 year old gas was bad, but in the end, it was the ignitor, which I changed (and it got a complete tune up), and now the cart runs awesome. However, it just refuses to charge the battery, and I don't think it ever has charged the battery since the guy replaced the engine because the first day I had it, the battery died, but then after charging it outside the cart and putting it back in, nothing would fire, and that's when we figured out it was the ignitor (which when replaced, it fired back up). We assumed because it was not running right, it was not charging the battery, however now that it's running great, it's still not charging, and that causing me issues...LOL

I have checked the battery (with an industrial battery tester), and it came back in good shape, and charges fine outside the cart.

After extensive searches here, and Google, what I have tried...
  1. I have ohmed out the red/white and green wire from Starter/Generator and am getting 6.0 Ohms
  2. I have checked all wires from the starter/generator and can confirm all are good, and I have ohmed out, although I only get 0.4 to 0.2 Ohms on all, not sure if that is correct, but all are similar, with 0.2 being the larger gauge positive and negative wires. I also did Continuity tests on all wires.
  3. I have checked to make sure the guys never wired it incorrectly (positive and negative reversed), as far as I know, the negative is the lower one, and the positive is the one facing front of the cart. The other two are the jumper wire that goes from one side to the other
  4. I have checked voltage from Red/White wire between starter/generator and voltage regulator (r/w wire and ground on battery, and get 0 volts (or maybe 0.4v, I can't remember off hand), but most definitely not 12v. (While cart was running full throttle in neutral).

I think from all my tests it has to be the starter/generator? I mean it's obviously not charging, so I have already ordered a new starter/generator and voltage regulator from DB Electrical in the USA (I live in Canada, so I have to wait to get it).

My concern now is, I saw some posts elsewhere that the generator has top be polarized if the battery, or generator or voltage regulator has ever been unplugged/removed?

Is this really true? If so, although I saw some "generic videos", I can;t figure out how to do on this G9.

Will it work on this older S/G? Will I have to do it when I get the new S/G? Will I have to do this every time I remove the battery?

Is my issue the S/G, or is it possible that's it's wired incorrectly?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just confused right now.

TLDR: G9 Engine will not charge, I think I did enough tested to determine it's the Starter/Generator, but do I have to polarize it? I hope the wiring is correct.
Greek Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
jacobsond
Getting Wild

Default Re: G9 engine not charging, am I really supposed to polarize the starter/generator?

More knowledgeable people will chime in,but if your starter is working it means the generator should also work. Not sure what is meant about polarizing but I would look for a regulator problem not a starter/generator problem.
jacobsond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:43 AM   #3
Bryan Edmondson
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G9 engine not charging, am I really supposed to polarize the starter/generator?

I replaced my starter/generator on my 94 G9. It works great. I never knew about that it need polarized. So I know for a fact I did not do that and mine is working just fine

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Bryan Edmondson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

voltage regulator problems are quite common given the age of the cart. The only thing that "usually" goes wrong with the starter/generator is the brushes wear out and it doesn't start. Otherwise they're pretty bulletproof.

Your battery should rest around 12 volts. There's a small yellow wire coming off of the starter/generator. If I remmeber correctly there's a bullet connector somewhere near the regulator, but don't quote me on that. It's been a while since I worked on a G9. Hook a meter to the + and - battery terminals. Take the yellow wire off and ground it to the chassis. Don't hold it for long, just a few seconds to watch the meter. Battery voltage should jump to around 17 volts or so. If voltage jumps to 17 volts, the voltage regulator is bad. If it stays at 12 volts the starter/generator is bad.

Do NOT buy an aftermarket voltage regulator. They are of horrible quality. I have lost count of how many people I've seen on here alone buy them and have them bad or even dead shorted right out of the box, so they blow the 10A fuse and kill the cart completely!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Greek Wizard
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
voltage regulator problems are quite common given the age of the cart. The only thing that "usually" goes wrong with the starter/generator is the brushes wear out and it doesn't start. Otherwise they're pretty bulletproof.

Your battery should rest around 12 volts. There's a small yellow wire coming off of the starter/generator. If I remmeber correctly there's a bullet connector somewhere near the regulator, but don't quote me on that. It's been a while since I worked on a G9. Hook a meter to the + and - battery terminals. Take the yellow wire off and ground it to the chassis. Don't hold it for long, just a few seconds to watch the meter. Battery voltage should jump to around 17 volts or so. If voltage jumps to 17 volts, the voltage regulator is bad. If it stays at 12 volts the starter/generator is bad.

Do NOT buy an aftermarket voltage regulator. They are of horrible quality. I have lost count of how many people I've seen on here alone buy them and have them bad or even dead shorted right out of the box, so they blow the 10A fuse and kill the cart completely!
There is no yellow wire, but I have read that I can do that with the green wire.

That is probably the only test I have not done yet.
Greek Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek Wizard View Post
There is no yellow wire, but I have read that I can do that with the green wire.

That is probably the only test I have not done yet.
You are correct, and the yellow wire is a club car thing (with that suggestion coming from a club car owner, it wasn't incorrect, just not quite right for a yamaha).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I agree with this completely but it's easier said than done, unfortunately. Even domestic suppliers tend to only sell the kung pao stuff anymore.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:13 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I agree with this completely but it's easier said than done, unfortunately. Even domestic suppliers tend to only sell the kung pao stuff anymore.
I always stick with Partzilla. USe one of the online parts catalogs to find the part number, and 95% of the time, if it's still a current part, Partzilla has it. And it's always OEM they don't sell anything generic or knock off.

Funny thing is, half the time they're cheaper than the fake chinese part from mama woo's garage that you get from Ebay or Amazon.

This should be the OEM regulator. It's been superseded once or twice but it traces back to the JF2-81910-00 part number. https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...F2-81910-01-00
Old 07-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

A fully charged battery should read 12.66 12.2 is 50% tested with a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter)

Gotta be a voltage regulator or incorrect wiring.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sorry, green wire :)

I had a yamaha G9 and loved it. Hated selling it but my club car is just a lot more useful around the property so when one had to go, unfortunately the G9 got the short straw.

Of all the carts I've had, my G9 was my first and by far still my favorite. :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha