lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
Macsman56
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G2 with 1996 Suzuki King quad 300 4x4 atv swap

Alright guys i am beginning the swap. Ive never seen this specific atv swapped into a golf cart but will keep you updated. Pictures will come shortly as soon as i get the pictures to my computer*

I will attempt to swap on the front 4x4 parts onto the G2 starting the beginning of 2020 as of right now i want to get the engine swap done so i can have my golf cart during the south carolina hunting season for some offroad wear and tear testing.

ive already got the back half of the atv sitting under the G2 as we speak and it jacked up the back end a bit so im going to need to add more of a lift into the front but so far so good its not going to be the prettiest welding job or way of mounting it into the golf cart but hey as long as it works

Leave me some feedback!
Macsman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
JRL
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G2 with 1996 Suzuki King quad 300 4x4 atv swap

Must have videos! Some serious artwork there!
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #3
JRL
Gone Wild

That's what I've done. I can post pics of the frame for reference. Your grafting will be the easy part. Cooling the 300 be the hard part. Another issue unique to the 300 is the independent suspension. It's too soft for the width of a golf cart. You'll need wheel spacers or some serious fab to get the wheels to the needed width. Also need real strong shock spring to keep the cart level side-to-side.
A'll you gotta do to couple the frames is cut the LTF frame just in front of the exhaust pipe (the pipe is complicated in that unit) and then align front and rear sections with regard to keeping the wheel centers on the front proximal to factory or a bit forward, adjust the height of the two frames so that the front driveshaft is kept below the cart frame and driveshaft runs straight. You'll add about 30" to the overall LTF frame. Pay attention to the exhaust system or you might have to cut it to remove it. Leave all of the two ATV sections complete for reference to removing various components once welded up. 300 will need service access to the left cover (the whole side of the engine) for future service. The clutches will fry if overheated. A 300 will pull far more than can be cooled. Overheating will be your biggest issue. Next will be establishing a ride height and spring rates. LTFs don't have a lot of ground clesrance. The differential ratios are complicated by the odd tire sizes. So going to larger wheels, coupled with high gear ratios will be limited. You'll be in middle low in the woods. High will be useless (maybe OK on level roads) when the weight of the cart is added to the relatively small 300.
And, how you going to cool it? FWIW Suzuki made a fan assembly that was used with the large oil cooler found on some models. That might be a solution. A big, radiator sized oil cooler with a high efficiency fan (not enough alternator for a robust fan) and maybe a water
spray system would keep it cool enough. If it overheats, the first thing that fails is the alternator stator. A PITA to repair. The the engine clutch then goes next. It has 2 clutches. The 2nd clutch pack is the shifting clutch. The "shoe clutch" is the start/stop clutch.
There's more, but this'll get you going! Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9282.jpeg (104.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 9401.jpeg (147.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 9283.jpeg (216.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 12461.jpeg (258.1 KB, 0 views)
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #4
Macsman56
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
That's what I've done. I can post pics of the frame for reference. Your grafting will be the easy part. Cooling the 300 be the hard part. Another issue unique to the 300 is the independent suspension. It's too soft for the width of a golf cart. You'll need wheel spacers or some serious fab to get the wheels to the needed width. Also need real strong shock spring to keep the cart level side-to-side.
A'll you gotta do to couple the frames is cut the LTF frame just in front of the exhaust pipe (the pipe is complicated in that unit) and then align front and rear sections with regard to keeping the wheel centers on the front proximal to factory or a bit forward, adjust the height of the two frames so that the front driveshaft is kept below the cart frame and driveshaft runs straight. You'll add about 30" to the overall LTF frame. Pay attention to the exhaust system or you might have to cut it to remove it. Leave all of the two ATV sections complete for reference to removing various components once welded up. 300 will need service access to the left cover (the whole side of the engine) for future service. The clutches will fry if overheated. A 300 will pull far more than can be cooled. Overheating will be your biggest issue. Next will be establishing a ride height and spring rates. LTFs don't have a lot of ground clesrance. The differential ratios are complicated by the odd tire sizes. So going to larger wheels, coupled with high gear ratios will be limited. You'll be in middle low in the woods. High will be useless (maybe OK on level roads) when the weight of the cart is added to the relatively small 300.
And, how you going to cool it? FWIW Suzuki made a fan assembly that was used with the large oil cooler found on some models. That might be a solution. A big, radiator sized oil cooler with a high efficiency fan (not enough alternator for a robust fan) and maybe a water
spray system would keep it cool enough. If it overheats, the first thing that fails is the alternator stator. A PITA to repair. The the engine clutch then goes next. It has 2 clutches. The 2nd clutch pack is the shifting clutch. The "shoe clutch" is the start/stop clutch.
There's more, but this'll get you going! Good luck!
Ive got the frame welded in place. I found some wheel spacers that change the 4x140 to 4x100 so i can have my skinnier 4x100 offroad tires. Everything seems to be just about level and the wheels are square for the rear. As of right now im working on getting a throttle cable, mounting up my speedo and getting ready to start the shifting mechanism. So far its been pretty easy. The shocks seem to be stiff enough for now but i have some ideas for larger custom mounted shocks if truly needed
Macsman56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atv swap, king quad 300, yamaha g2
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps