lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #21
Billfo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My new cart

Keeter.. I dont know anything about it.. I read some mention of it on this forum SOMEWHERE... but can not find it now.. Maybe it was a joke. I dont know, but I need to do something to get up that hill.. Im thinking my 22" tires have a lot to do with it. Maybe too hard for the gears to turn them big tires. ( at least in my mind)... We will have to wait until the guru's of electric carts post their replies. Bill
Billfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #22
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

billfo, you should be all right with 22's, just slow up hill. when i had 36v. mine would do it on 23's but slowly.

i would cycle your batts. a few more times and check the total voltage about an hour after the charger is finished. from what you posted you only at 60% or so of a full charge.

after the batts. are in good shape, definitly change all of your cables to 4ga.you can make the yourself or buy a set from one of the site sponsors at the top.

i will try to post a pic. of the battery chart jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 3 views)
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #23
rib33024

Default Re: Here is the update !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfo View Post
Finally got my hands on the cart. Plates showing on Trogan batteries. Added distilled water- charged 2 at a time with car charger (up to 60%), then plugged in big charger for about 4 hours in the evening. In the morning I metered 36.8 volts. Adjusted the toe on front wheels, off I went. Drove around about an hour. (yeah it was fun) Hand held gps says 12 mph on the flat rock road. Parked cart ( had to start working on house) Cart off charger till am. Metered in the morning regestered 35.8 volts. Checked water in batteries ( all fine), hooked up big charger for long enough for the charger to cycle into maintain mode. Drove around just for fun (but no hills)

Here is my first problem.... Wife & I could not get up the hill from my boat dock.. Rock incline of about 30 degrees. I had to get out & push ( but the motor did most of the work). I am 250 & she is 130. Still think it should make it up that hill at least one of us on board..

Here is what I suspect:
Battery is not providing enough amps ( dont know how to check)
The motor is not strong enough to turn the 22" wheels.
I need the "hill climbing jumper" I have read mention of !

I am thinking of taking off the crappy lift kit, going back to oem size tires & with the help of the kind people here- add or make that jumper to climb hills....As much as I like the look of the lift with the big tires, We NEED to get up that hill on a cart (Copperhead snakes are common there ).
Suggestions PLEASE !!!

Can you tell us what year batteries they are??

( Plates showing on Trogan batteries )

Not good damage is done.

(then plugged in big charger for about 4 hours in the evening.)

When you plug in the charger to the cart and start the charge cycle YOU do not unplug the charger untill the charge cycle is done and the charger turns off by it's self, this can take up to 16 hours to be fully charged.

(I metered 36.8 volts)

This is only 55% charged, so when you started driving the cart the pack was at 50% --You should never run your battery pack below 50%--you started off at 50% to go on your ride, I think thats why it didn't go up the .Rock incline of about 30 degrees.

(Metered in the morning regestered 35.8 volts)

35.8 the battery pack is only charged 40%

You need to plug in the charger to the cart and let it charge untill the charger stops by it's self --DO NOT unplug--this could take a long time
then take some readings of the batteries,--after they sit for a few hours off the charger--

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #24
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am no expert...by FAR....but I think the culprit maybe be your batteries. I would be curious about what type of charger you have and how you are assessing the amount of charge time. Your voltage is low for a fully charged bank of batteries. Here is a graph I have seen posted many times showing voltage at varying states of charge for a given battery. Now, what to do with that information is going to be something the "electric guys" can help you with. My learning curve has just got past the point of being able to post this graph...haha

I hope it helps.

SHMO

shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #25
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Whooooa. talk about a day late and a dollar short....haha

SHMO
shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #26
Billfo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

38.2 ? Is that a big power difference over 36 ?? I did leave the charger on it over night several days later- but I did not check voltage nor try the hill again.. Next time I will check each cell as well.. Maybe I already have damaged batteries.. I was actually surprised that it even ran.. BUT it does me no good if we cant climb that hill twice a day.. Do you agree that the oem size wheels & tires would climb easier ??? IF I get 38 volts I will try the hill again.. but like i said I need to be practical-too many things taking my money right now.. Im thinking about returning to a (heaven forbid) stock set up..in hope of conquering that snake infested hill.. thanks for the chart, I have printed it & will take it with me.. * Do y ou know anything about a "wire jumper" to allow the cart to climb better (but looses top speed) ?
Note: I did find an old set of wires.. I will have to determine of the new wires are indeed 4 gauge.. Maybe the prior owner was a member of this forum if he knew about the wire upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
billfo, you should be all right with 22's, just slow up hill. when i had 36v. mine would do it on 23's but slowly.

i would cycle your batts. a few more times and check the total voltage about an hour after the charger is finished. from what you posted you only at 60% or so of a full charge.

after the batts. are in good shape, definitly change all of your cables to 4ga.you can make the yourself or buy a set from one of the site sponsors at the top.

i will try to post a pic. of the battery chart jim
Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #27
Billfo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies..

I think I will beef up the cheap front spacers to stop the flex.. Dont want to put any money in to this cart. I doubt I will find the original front axle.. good to stop a money pit before I get in too deep.. Now the NEXT cart "whatch out".. Like chrome on a motorcycle.. Turn me loose !
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO