lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Default D&D PDS High Speed Motor and 8:1 High Speed Gear Experiment...

OK guys. Got the motor and the gears today so here goes the first post. My goal here is to increase the speed of my cart and lower the rpm's at cruising speed. Currenty, the stock motor is turning about 7000 rpm's to run 32 mph or so and obviously that is not a great idea. I'll establish a base line with the stock motor and the stock gears for us to compare to and then begin by changing the motor and then eventually changing the rear end. I bought a donor cart that I have robbed the rear end out of to simplify the process plus the original rear end in ths cart has never been just exactly right anyhow. I'll try to document all of the steps.

This will of course be done on my 2007 PDS cart with DCX 500 PDS controller, HD solenoid, 2 gauge cables, 48v using 6 Trojan 890 batteries. My rear tires are 20" tall.

Here's the motor...

The first thing I found interesting about the motor is the size of it. It's 10.5" long and it weighs 54 lbs! If I remember correctly, and I'll weigh it again when it is off the cart, my stock motor weighs 43 lbs. That is pretty significant for sure. I honestly do not know all the technical details but the guy that helped me get this motor has a friend at D&D engineering and he explained how crazy I was...I mean the intended use of the cart and they have whipped up something for me. I thought it interesting that most of the tag on the motor is blank. The tag says it's an ES-76-51 which I don't see on their website, but if I understand correctly it should produce about 12 hp and around 80 ft/lbs of torque with my controller etc...

My invoice from D&D says what was shipped is 1-Engineering Dept. Raw Material...still looks like a motor to me.

And here's the 8:1 gear set...

I have rear end #2 back from being modified for my lowering stuff and I'll be cleaning and painting it along with changing the gears in the next few days. I did get new axle bearings and seals along with the plugs for the side of the case. Other than that, it looks good so I won't be changing anything else other than that stuff and the gears themselves. Hope to at least run the cart with the new motor this weekend so I'll report back when I have more to report.

Should be a fun experiment!!!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO