lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
thelandposse
Not Yet Wild

Default For what it's worth...don't go over 30MPH

On my way to work today I stopped by my dealer to share my upgrades with them. I mentioned that I had programmed my cart to go 28 MPH. The owner happened to be in the service bay and warned me that Icon told them NOT to program carts to run over 30 MPH because that can fry the programmer altogether. I thought this was interesting based on another thread on this forum that said an Icon shut down while running at high speeds. While that owners situation tuned out okay I think all of us should take note.
thelandposse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: For what it's worth...don't go over 30MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelandposse View Post
On my way to work today I stopped by my dealer to share my upgrades with them. I mentioned that I had programmed my cart to go 28 MPH. The owner happened to be in the service bay and warned me that Icon told them NOT to program carts to run over 30 MPH because that can fry the programmer altogether. I thought this was interesting based on another thread on this forum that said an Icon shut down while running at high speeds. While that owners situation tuned out okay I think all of us should take note.
He must have mean "fry the controller", but I've had 2 of my carts programmed at 35mph for probably 6+ months. And I regularly go 26-31mph on them.

The other poster who's cart shut down was due to the BMS (battery management system) and not the controller because he has a lithium pack and they have their own special controls...not much to do with the controller.

I don't think the guy knows what he's talking about. I spoke (on the phone) directly to the guy in charge of writing the software and implementing it for the controller and he said he had them going 10k RPMs in the factory. That's likely not under load, but it would lead me to believe the controller isn't going to just fry for going over 30mph.

I asked my EE BIL and he said the following:

Quote:
There is a fringe scenario that could fry the carts controller.
I don't know how it could happen with all the controls the cart has. But hypothetically, its when the cart is at speed and the main contactor opens. That would isolate the battery pack that used to accept energy from the motor as regen. If all of a sudden the battery pack is no longer an energy sink then a voltage spike occurs on the motor/controller side. It's because the motor is a massive inducer. An inducer MUST maintain current in the short term. It can not have sudden current changes. So if the contactor opens then the motor spikes the voltage up to try and maintain the current. This has been known to cause tens of thousands of volts and multiple inches of arcing in weird scenarios. BUT I don't see how going faster would make that occur. This is only when the contactor opens when the cart is at speed. Again, most likely to make the cart go faster is to install a battery pack with a larger pack voltage. That could "fry" the controller, but it's not from programming.
I asked if turning the cart's key off at full speed, and he said that would open the contactor and could possibly do it depending on the controller protections. Not sure why 30mph would be a magic number in that case though.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
Stano7
Getting Wild

Atrain, I set my forward acceleration to 7000 but can't seem to break 30 MPH. Is there another setting?
Stano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:40 AM   #4
geoffarias
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano7 View Post
Atrain, I set my forward acceleration to 7000 but can't seem to break 30 MPH. Is there another setting?
I think the guys hitting 32 MPH may live in hillier areas than me. On my usual route to my in laws, I only hit 30 MPH -31MPH on one stretch. Its about 3 blocks without a stop sign. Approx 1600 feet and has a small down hill grade about 3/4 of the way. It takes some space to get to 29-30MPH. Cart (at least stock tuned) goes 0-25MPH much quicker than 25-30MPH.
geoffarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #5
Stano7
Getting Wild

Agree, seems to take forever to get up to 30. I have mine set at 7000 so technically, shouldn’t it get up to 35? 7000/200? I may be missing another setting. As we start to figure all this out I’m sure there’s a setting for acceleration as well.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Agree, seems to take forever to get up to 30. I have mine set at 7000 so technically, shouldn’t it get up to 35? 7000/200? I may be missing another setting. As we start to figure all this out I’m sure there’s a setting for acceleration as well.
I hit and held 35mph for about 3 blocks yesterday on a pretty steep CA downhill. Flat roads, no chance. I stay more around 29'ish and jump to 31 for the slight declines. I don't think it can get 30+ without a little hill or perhaps some specific mods.

I have a whole list of settings/parameters to change from my EE BIL and from others on the forum. I'll have my cable back in a week or two where I can do a more legit writeup after doing some of my own testing. I don't want to start throwing random changes out without doing my due diligence first and making clear what the changes are. So know I do plan to put some info out there.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:40 AM   #7
Stano7
Getting Wild

Right, smart approach. I thought I read about some one here that have had their carts going 35+ I guess that's downhill, not straightaways.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #8
geoffarias
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Depends on your cart set up - rear axle gear ratio, tire diameter, etc

Ive not found the ratio number to be accurate. So it was set to 5000RPM and I was hitting 25 MPH on the dash speedo (less per GPS but not the point). I changed to 7000 RPM max and Ive never seen 35MPH EVER. I got 32MPH tops on a long straightaway with just myself recently. Freshly paved road with no potholes and nice and smooth. I see 30 MPH with enough space.

Im hoping one of these days I have time to let wife max it out and have the laptop hooked up and set to monitor things so I can see what the readouts are.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:17 PM   #9
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Would like to make a suggestion...understand that in these areas
my knowledge is 0 but....

Could it just maybe be that the 4 gauge battery cable need upgrading to 2
gauge to accomplish your 31+ mph speed objective ?

With my other... hobby audio...upgrading stock power cords to
better quality heavier gauge allows a better power ebb and flow
as the music demands instantaneously...the result is impressive..

Just thinking that the 4 gauge wires maybe hindering the additional
current our carts need for higher speeds (rpms) along with more torque.

Somehow I think there is a similarity and that being current limiting.

Alas I'm no expert where all programming things cart wise are
related...

Just an idea..

Best wishes to all
Happy cartin'
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:55 AM   #10
geoffarias
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes definitely would lend to better and more efficient energy output/draw. Ive been meaning to look at what gauge cables are on the batteries. I changed them out on my TXT and saw improvements for sure.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon