lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #21
slowfozzy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 EZGO Marathon (Electric) - "Penny"

I've been busy, but finally today got around to figuring out pot-box linkage and mounting. I need to multimeter the potbox leads to be sure it's right, but I think I have it mocked up perfectly and it is very simple. Will post pictures soon.
slowfozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2016, 10:53 PM   #22
slowfozzy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Post #7:

Progress: I got around to mocking up my potentiometer and linkage. After some tinkering, my solution was to utilize the same (ish) pivot point that the wiper board used, using a 4" strip of steel as the lever, mounting the pot-box roughly where the resistor coils were, and using medium-gauge wire as the linkage. You'll notice that for the hinge areas of the lever and its attachment to the existing linkage I used a couple machine screws and nyloc nuts spaced to allow movement - it really couldn't be any simpler or cheaper, I had these on hand anyway. I still need to meter it, but I've got it where the pedal range matches the potentiometer range perfectly. If the meter tells me different, I'll tweak it before hard mounting.

I also mounted the F&R to be sure there is no interference. Next steps will be to finish wheeling/painting this area, mount the components permanently and work out controller mounting.

View of the potbox/linkage configuration.

Rod linkage/'lever' mounting.

Linkage alternate view.

Video of pedal test.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #23
hturner12
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

glad you are making progress. I got my 94 on the spot it will be on for my renevation. picjed up a diamond plate bed for $70.00. Go Monday and pick up brush guard with lights and winch mount $80.00
hturner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #24
slowfozzy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Resurrecting this thread.

Update 3/29/18

I hit a wall with a couple spun motor studs (copper is just corroded beyond repair, nuts won't come off, many areas of the threads are chipped away) and then my work schedule (Navy) sealed the deal with mothballing this project for awhile.

I contacted Plum Quick about rebuilding the motor (since It's going to need to come off anyway) and they quoted me a pretty reasonable price, so I'll be pulling it and shipping it off soon. Instead of just having an alt shop fix the studs, I'll have a lightly upgraded motor. I haven't found anything online about removing this exact motor, so if anybody is familiar with the removal of the '87 electric motor, please feel free to lend your knowledge.

Completed but not previously documented (will add pictures soon):
-Installed new brake lines
-Sprayed bedliner in the wheel wells, underneath floorboard and on transfer case
-Installed rear HD springs

Previously purchased, sitting in a box:
-Roll of OEM rubber trim for body panel edges
-Wire mesh, bondo

Ordered a couple things today:
-2" Wheel spacers
-4'x5' diamond-plate style rubber mat (1/8") for the floorboard
-Black diamond-plate sill plates.

Other than sending the motor off, my main focus for now is working on the body which is in pretty rough shape. I'll be purchasing more things as I go and as the budget allows, like the rest of the solid state components, wiring, lights, wheels/tires, etc.

I noticed that my first two images (hosted on Photobucket) have expired so I will be going through the thread and editing my previous posts and moving the images to Imgur, which has no expiration for free hosting.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the help so far (and in advance for any help in the future).
Old 03-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #25
slowfozzy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Update 3/30/18

Ordered some more stuff today:
-Black diamond plate bumper/shock cover
-10" wheels & 22" tires
Old 03-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #26
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Awesome, thanks for the updates!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #27
slowfozzy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Update 4/1/18:

Today I pulled the front cowl and the motor. I was previously hesitant to pull the cowl but I know there was rust and dust hiding in there and just wouldn't feel right letting it go. Motor removal turned out to be far simpler than I figured. Pull four bolts running thru the diff housing into the motor and slide the sucker off. Will be shipping that off to Plum Quick soon.

I remembered that I hadn't pulled the front fender liners either. There was a bunch of dirt, spider webs and a little bit of rust under there.

The metal beneath the organizer tray was in pretty good shape. Still going to wire wheel and throw a coat of Rust Reformer on there.

Found both of these under the organizer tray. They had the same stamp but one looks older than the other. Looked up Wekiva Golf Club and it's near Orlando, about three hours from me.

The front cowl is in poor shape. The bottom portion that attaches near the floorboard is riddled with rust holes. I'll have some work to do on that. Also, the front 3-4" of the cowl is dented pretty badly so I think I'm gonna cut it back and fit one of the '88+ plastic cowls on there instead.

Here's the tray all cleaned up and painted.

Prepped, painted and two coats of underbody spray to half of the "firewall" area. Much better. Not perfect, but plenty good enough.

Motor's out!

Taking it down to bare sheetmetal before Bondo. Here's a nice rust hole.

Wire mesh behind the bigger holes I'm filling. These were for the lights and the key cylinder. I'm moving the key and all switches to the dash.

Ready to knock out this body work!

Up next:
-Finish body work on the battery well area, then rivet it to the frame.
-Finish undercoating the driver side firewall
-More body work
-Prep floorboard for rubber mat.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #28
slowfozzy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Update 4/3/18:

The spacers came in yesterday, then wheels/tires came today. I threw everything on and it is really getting me motivated seeing it stand on its own with the lift and big tires. There is rubbing at full turn against the firewall and also at around 80-90% left turn there's interference with the brake lever. For the former, I will have to trim the fenders and I'm also considering trimming down the firewall supports on the corners just a touch (and reinforcing them with some flat stock), and for the latter I'll probably just live with it. Also I was relieved to find that the cart will probably drive in & out of my garage with no interference, but it'll be close.

Spacers on!

Wheels and tires. 22x11" tire on a 10" wheel. I am really enjoying this look.

First time she's rolled freely in a long time.

Front cowl mocked up to check for rubbing and also to see if the top is too high to make it into the garage. Rubbing for sure will have to be addressed with trimming, but I think I'm safe as far as clearance under the garage door.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:49 PM   #29
slowfozzy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Side plates came in came in today. I used these, from eBay. I'm not sure if the '88+ bodies are a little different or my battery well just isn't as square as it should be, but they're gonna need a little trimming where they butt up to the battery well and also in the front to avoid rubbing the tires when turning. Anyway, they are going to look great when they go on!
Old 04-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #30
slowfozzy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Update 4/5/18:

Diamond plate rubber mat came in today so I couldn't help myself and knocked out most of the new floorboard. Lots of measuring, cutting, eyeballing, etc. I pulled the accelerator pedal to make that bit easier but for the brake I just ran a slit straight up which will lay together and won't be noticeable. Also I realized that the new side plates don't fit because they're designed to go over the OEM side plates, which I don't have and don't intend to get new ones. No change on that though, I'll just trim them like I planned.

4'x5' roll of 1/8" diamond plate pattern poly rubber from eBay

Starting to come together after some careful cuts.

Picture with the new side plates mocked up.

Here's where I left off for the day. Not bad for a couple hours. Didn't even swear.

Tags
36v, ezgo, golf cart, golf cart build, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides