lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default batteries dying???

So I'm fixing up this txt 36v series cart. i had some electrical issues initially but i appeared to fixed it. cart runs pretty good. however, we had it out for about 30 mins and i left the motor just stop. gave it so pedal after we stopped on the road and i could feel it trying but it started jerking and gave out. i assumed the batteries were dead and i had to push the thing all the way home. put my multimeter up to the battery back and i had 38v. any thoughts. id imagine 38v after 30 mins of riding is normal and would still go for a while. i upgraded the cables to 2awg and a 400 amp controller but not sure if that would be the cause. The only thing i can come up with is the lights that i installed are currently connected to 2 batteries and not a reducer. (have it just not installed yet.) I know that this would cause those batteries to drain faster than the rest but in 30 mins? brand new batteries. any thoughts.
OhDannyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: batteries dying???

Need to test them under load. The voltage is about right....do a complete charge (overnight) and let rest for 8-12 hours to equalize. Then hook your voltmeter to pack positive and negative and drive for a while and note how far voltage drops. It usually will on drop about 10%. If it's drops more, you may want to load test each battery (same way) to see if you have a bad battery. It's rare, but new battery can be bad. Also, check to see if anything gets hot under load. You did not mention how old cart is, but if it's 36v, it's probably got some age, cables/connections need to be inspected closely.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

hey thanks for the response. its an 2002. i checked for any heat. everything electrical has been replaced. i have new its senor, f/r, batteries, cables, controller, solenoid and even new charger. i noticed there was some corrosion on the terminals of the motor. I sanded the rust off the little washers but they are old and still have some rust. should i replace them? like i was saying originally, it runs great for about 20-30 mins 19mph (lift and tires)and then appears to have no juice so i dont think that would be it either. this is my first 36v and i know they dont last as long as the 48v but how far should they go before dying? which reminds me. it didnt slow down either. it was pretty instant from full throttle to nothing.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

For 6V batteries, run time is typically about half of the Capacity Minutes @ 75A rating.

A Trojan T-105 6V batteries are rated at 115 Minutes, so the standard 36V pack will have a run time of just under an hour. Of course there are a lot of variables and no two carts are the same, but in very general terms and hour of pedal time per charge on a stock cart.

If you cart has taller than stock tires, run time will be less, especially if they are the low pressure type. Also a rear seat reduces run time.

Battery storage capacity (AH rating) also effects run time. What is Make/Model of your batteries and Minutes @75A and AH @ 20hr rate.

--------------
Being tapped for 12V accessories kills batteries, so get your voltage reducer connected.

--------------

What does the battery pack voltage drop to under load?

What is pack voltage when cart quits running?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

At 38 volts, you should be over a 90% state of charge.

It almost sounds like you might have powered down to overheating ... possibly the controller. Not sure if a motor will do the same thing when it gets hot but a controller certainly can.

Did you try it out again after it cooled down?

Is it back to running after charging?
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #6
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok here’s what I learned today…..

Tested the carts battery load with throttle all the way forward I was getting between 35-36.1 volts. I appeared to go down initially and then rise. Majority was 36.1v while riding. After about 20 mins it did it again. At the time the voltage was 37.3v. Solenoid was still clicking and I could hear what sounded like the motor but obviously no tire movement. I lifted the seat to feel for heat and noticed a) the solenoid was hot. Not too hot to touch but clearly a source of heat. B) the motor was the same way. Had some heat. I checked each battery and had 6.32v.

So is my solenoid getting too hot and malfunctioning?
Or is my motor getting too hot and not working properly?
Or is it something I haven’t remotely come up with yet? Lol

Thank y’all.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #7
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

And the are gold eagle deep cycle batteries. The ah is 226 and the rc min is 116@75A. I have a warranty on them but I don’t think the batteries are the problem. I could be wrong though. Also I’ve noticed that the positive terminal on some of the batteries are off colored almost like a blackish grey compared to the negative side of grey. Is that sometime to ponder?
Old 09-08-2021, 08:00 AM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Were the terminals warm when this happened? Can you post pictures of those terminals?
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

no they were not. the only heat was coming from the solenoid and the motor. additionally information. I bought a 300 dollar charger off amazon. its an 18 amp. i came outside this morning and it was still going. charge on cart was 38v when i took it off. it was 37v lastnight. should it have cut off or voltage been higher? i will post a photo when i get home.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It is normal for the motor, solenoid and controller to warm up several degrees during use. The motor because the amps not converted to torque are converted to heat and motor are only about 85% efficient. The solenoid because of the coil being energized. The controller because the MOSFETs that pas the amps to the motor are not perfect conductors. Other than that, the cables, connections and contacts ought to stay within about 10°F of ambient.

If the battery pack was 37V when put on charge and still running the next morning with only 38V on the pack, there is either a charger or a battery issue.
If the charger was still pumping out 18A, it is more likely a battery issue.

Check the individual battery voltages while on charge at 18A. They should all six be withing 0.1V of the others.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO