lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Dewalt 1/4" 18V Cordless XRP™ Impact Driver

Awesome! This thing is perfect for golf cart maintenance! Its small so it fits into tight spaces, it has enough power to break loose all of the fasteners on my CC so far, uses the same size battery as all of the rest of my 18v xrp tools, the charger charges NiMh, NiCd & Lithium, the included Lithium packs charge in less than an hour, the tool weighs about 1/4 of my 18v hammer drill!

I haven't tried for driving in screws yet, but i hear its great for sheetrock and sheet metal. My lil bro is in construction and he says thats all the sheetrock guys use now...

Props to Dewalt for making their current line of tools backward compatible! I only have one charger to keep up with & only one type of battery to buy and maintain for nearly a dozen different cordless power tools!

I had seen them in the stores and didn't think much of them until i took my drill in for repair a few weeks ago and actually played with one. I was instantly sold! I highly recommend checking out the impact driver at your local Dewalt dealer if you get the chance!

Dewalt Link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC827KL.jpg (19.3 KB, 5 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Dewalt 1/4" 18V Cordless XRP™ Impact Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
Props to Dewalt for making their current line of tools backward compatible! I only have one charger to keep up with & only one type of battery to buy and maintain for nearly a dozen different cordless power tools!
This has been a complaint of mine concerning Craftsman cordless units for years. The better lines care about this, Craftsman simply cares about you buying new stuff every 5 years.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

we've all done it... reach for a tool and the battery is toast (likely from lack of use). drive down to sears to buy a new 16v battery and they have the new 18v model on sale with 2 new batteries for only $32 more... come in for a battery, get suckered into another half-a$$ tool.

i was surprised when i found out that the new batteries were compatible as they look very different. the fact that the new lithium charger charges and conditions my old NiCds was icing on the cake. its nice to know that a company appreciates customer loyalty and not just their bottom line.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
littlebob
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
Awesome! This thing is perfect for golf cart maintenance! Its small so it fits into tight spaces, it has enough power to break loose all of the fasteners on my CC so far, uses the same size battery as all of the rest of my 18v xrp tools, the charger charges NiMh, NiCd & Lithium, the included Lithium packs charge in less than an hour, the tool weighs about 1/4 of my 18v hammer drill!

I haven't tried for driving in screws yet, but i hear its great for sheetrock and sheet metal. My lil bro is in construction and he says thats all the sheetrock guys use now...

I had seen them in the stores and didn't think much of them until i took my drill in for repair a few weeks ago and actually played with one. I was instantly sold! I highly recommend checking out the impact driver at your local Dewalt dealer if you get the chance!

Dewalt Link
I need to get one too. A friend bought one when he need more batteries and it
has come in very handy for him working on carts.
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Fireplug1960
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Does this tool have the power to remove lug nuts?
Fireplug1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireplug1960 View Post
Does this tool have the power to remove lug nuts?
I don't think this model does but Dewalt also has a 3/8" & 1/2" drive impact that have plenty of power for lug nut removal.I agree with sonicj that this driver is bad to the bone,I use mine all of the time for something!
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have a 1/2'' Dewalt and it will take off lug nuts"""unless the dropout
at the tire store ran em on full bore''"" I love it.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

They are handy, ....
It is 1/4 drive and won't do lug nuts....
You will get torque results that are all over the map due to variables like fully charged 1/2 depleted battery or 3 or 6 knocks on the hammer drive.
Ryobie makes this typo of setup for less.
Today's batteries & chargers are compatible with 10 yr old cordless tools I have from Ryobie... They just cost less. I have been abusing the 1/4 impact driver in my shop for more than a year... everyday use. That says alot.

Snap on makes a KILLER 1/2 18v Impact Driver. Models with 350 to 450 Ft pounds of torque... now that takes lug nuts and most axle nuts off
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
mlj427
Gone Wild

Craftsman has the 19.2 volt line been out for a few years and has a bunch of tools that it fits. I have 2 drills, right angle drill, reciprocal saw, saber saw, impact driver 1/4inch, several lights and a string trimmer. All use the same battery and charger. I had 1 battery and a charger go bad and it was cheaper to get a drill and the impact with 2 batteries, charger then just replacing what was bad.
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's all good! How did we do when we were young with wrenches and screwdrivers in hand?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center