lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Default Resistor Cart Battery Question

Just out of curiosity is a resistor cart able to run on a battery pack that has a lower overall pack voltage than a comparable controller cart?

I am having an issue with one battery in my pack. Long story but I think a clock was running 24 hours a day and it might have been pulling from that battery. So that particular battery only has 2.9-3 volts while the others are at 6 or over 6. Cart had reduced run time but still made it 5 miles at around 15 mph before significantly slowing down. I remember I had issues with controller DS carts that had one bad battery with higher voltage and the cart would shudder not run. This cart runs normally even with one bad battery.

I have disconnected the clock and am now charging the cart and will see overall pack voltage again after click off for 12 hours. Just wondering if the fact the cart is a resistor cart is what allows it to run despite one battery being less than 3 volts.

I have no idea about maintenance on this pack as its a new to me DS royal ride and batteries are Crown from June of 2017.

Thanks
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Resistor Cart Battery Question

I would say that's why you did not get the shuddering. I would give the batteries a couple back to back charges and see if that battery comes back up to normal. Probably won't.

Was somebody running a clock off one 6 volt battery?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I would say that's why you did not get the shuddering. I would give the batteries a couple back to back charges and see if that battery comes back up to normal. Probably won't.

Was somebody running a clock off one 6 volt battery?
That's a good question. I am about to tear it down so I will be able to trace wiring better but it's the battery that serves as the main pack positive connection and a second lead on the post appears to go to the positive on a fuse block.

I also thought about charging that one battery separately to get it back up a little higher so the others aren't cooking while that one keeps charging.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Default 88 Club Car Battery Question

So I charged the cart overnight and measured each battery about 12 hours after charge. The batteries were resting at 6.1-6.2 volts each which appears to be about 50% discharged. I put the cart back on the charger again and measured voltage across the pack. Pack with charger connected is about 43.9 volts. I think this should also be higher...Is this just a case of bad batteries? I am very surprised as I have had good results with crown batteries and these are June 2017. 36 volt cart

Edit sorry not sure why it's bolded

Last edited by golf cart man; 10-28-2020 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: bolding issue
Old 10-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What is the voltage of each battery after charging?
Old 10-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
What is the voltage of each battery after charging?
About 6.2-6.3 total pack at 37.7 which I know according to SOC chart is not at 100% but I guess that's due to the age as well. Appears they are slightly under 90% charged when not under load. Just trying to figure out if this is just a prematurely ageing batter pack or if some other issue could be present.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What is the voltage of the one that was 2.9?
Old 10-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #8
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
What is the voltage of the one that was 2.9?
It came back up to even with the others which is leads me to believe that for some reason the clock was pulling off that battery but I will know for sure on that once I take off the body. All batteries today were within 0.1 of each other.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car