lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #1
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Default 1964 Cushman Truckster idle and charging issues

Some upper manager is doing some other upper manager a favor and volunteered me to get this antique running again. First its got a very high idle, like the throttle is floored, but all the linkages are free and appear to be functional. Second, the charging system is not functioning, so its running off the battery alone. anyone got parts breakdown pictures of the throttle linkage assemblies, and/or wiring diagrams they could share? 1964 sn880320. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1964 truckster.jpg (153.5 KB, 0 views)
pcvst.tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
nedlyped
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Default Re: 1964 Cushman Truckster idle and charging issues

Hey PCVST -

I am fairly new to Cushman's myself, but happy to share literature - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ghyhu2bhl...xuAG2gfYa?dl=0. My model is newer than yours, but I think much of the mechanics are the same. I dropped in a few isolated wiring diagrams.

Not the best pic, but here's what I have for my engine. Carb on top with linkage.

Do you know what engine, horse power, and carb you have? It will help focus help/experts.

Speaking of experts, hopefully Charley (resident Cushman aficionado around these parts) will chime in soon.
nedlyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

this is good info, thanks. I got the charging issue resolved, but still stumped on the high idle.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:57 PM   #4
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

I think there is an issue with the governor, but my work week is almost over. time to wipe off the tools and head home for the weekend.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #5
nedlyped
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Happy to help in any way.

Yup, could be timing (governor) and valves. Make sure throttle arm isn't hung up on anything. I'd check to make sure nothing is obstructing or sticking in carb as well.

Happy End of the Day!
Old 08-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #6
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

@pcvst.tech,

Your Cushman very likely has a motor previous to the one that @nedlyped has. The motor shown in the previous posts is an 18 hp OMC two cylinder motor. OMC owned Cushman in the late 70's through 1990 or so, and designed this motor and variations of it for the Cushman products being made at that time. Earlier Cushman vehicles use mostly 1 cylinder motors from Briggs and Straton and others. You need to find the manufacturer of your motor, if you can, by looking for a label or serial number on the motor. From there, it should be easy to find the proper motor information.

For high idle speeds, remove the carburetor air cleaner and look into the throat of the carburetor past the choke plate. The next plate below is the throttle plate and it needs to be in the closed or almost closed position for the engine to idle. Move the linkages to find out what is binding or preventing the throttle plate from closing completely.

Vacuum leaks in the intake manifold between the carburetor outlet and the inlet to the cylinder(s) of the motor will also cause high idle speeds. Bad gaskets are a likely cause. Loose bolts at the joints are also high on the list

If your motor is an OMC, the intake manifold has a rubber T coupling to divide the carburetor outlet to feed both cylinders, so this rubber is frequently the cause of vacuum leaks, but loose bolts and bad gaskets can also be the cause for the same problem with these engines.

An incorrectly set or broken idle jet on the carburetor could also be the cause.

Incorrect timing can also be an issue. Check for proper timing, or something close, usually just a few degrees before top dead center of the piston, if trying to set it without the correct timing information. Too far befors TDC will cause it to kick back when the starter is cranking the engine over and it fires. Few degrees later will prevent this. Knowing and setting the timing by the manufacturers information is the best way. A light bulb of the correct battery voltage connected between the points and the motor casting is the best timing light for these engines. The points close when the light goes out.

Find out more about your motor. Photos might help too.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

@CharleyL attached are a couple pics of the engine. I'm still pretty stumped by this. I got the idle down enough that I have throttle pedal response now, but it's still too high. If I push rearward on the governor arm against spring tension the engine will idle correctly but raises again as soon as I remove my finger. as it is I've got the governor adjustment/spring tension as loose as the adjustment slot allows, I highly doubt this was designed to run this way. I've visually inspected that rubber T fitting on the intake and see no cracks, though I found cracks in what I believe is the PCV hose, but replacing it made no difference. I don't think anyone attempted adjustments on this engine since this company bought the unit a couple years ago, from what I understand they stopped using it because the alternator was not charging, not because the throttle was always floored. I also found oil inside the air filter housing, after it spilled all over my pants as I removed the air filter assembly, and I can't get the housing open to inspect the filter itself. were these filters sealed units, oil bath units?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cush1.jpg (162.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cush2.jpg (191.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #8
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

That sure looks like an OMC 18 hp engine, although I never saw one being used in a Cushman as early as what you say it is. Are you reading the model number off the plate on the left side of the fire wall (left of steering column)? The year of manufacture is the two digits following the dash where the number is located in that position. Before the dash is the 6 digit model number of it. They seem to have made many different models each year and some models for several consecutive years, not at all like Detroit. No one has ever confirmed what the last two numbers after the year of manufacture, so I have no idea what they mean. I've got a feeling that this motor is much newer than you say.

High idle speed to me means vacuum leak, or the carburetor idle mix jet is messed up, or the engine is way out of time. An oil can with gas in it, carb cleaner spray, or something flammable carefully sprayed where you think there might be a vacuum leak can sometimes find the leak. The motor will speed up when you spray the leak. Of course, an incorrect adjustment of the throttle stop screw will do this too, but I'm quite certain that you have already been at this.

On the www.sillylittlecars.com website, click on "manuals" on the main screen. Then "shop manuals" in the text on the next screen. A list of available manuals will appear on the third screen. Click on and download the "Supplement" Cushman manual. It's in Adobe Acrobat form (.pdf).

The Cushman "Supplement" manual contains all the OMC motor information that I have been able to find and it seems to apply to all three versions of this motor. Timing is easily done with the motor off and a 12 volt light bulb connected to the points wire and the other connection for the light connected to motor ground. The light will turn on/off as you rotate the flywheel and this transition of the light should occur as the timing mark on the flywheel passes the mark on the case. Pictures in the manual will help. The manual will also give all of the motor specs. so valve lash, etc. can be set. Spark plugs below cylinder center indicate 18 hp engine. Spark plugs above cylinder indicate 22 hp engine, or in the case of the 1 cylinder model, 9 hp or 11 hp.. The only real difference that I've found is the cylinder compression increase to get the additional motor horsepower. The valves, piston, rings, etc seem to be the same for both engine sizes. Both cylinder valves are identical, so it doesn't matter which side of the engine the cylinder goes on. They are both the same. The weakest part of these engines seems to be the cylinders and valves. The spark plug hole threads go bad and the valves break if the engine overheats.

I have defeated the bellows cylinder temperature units and fastened the air control doors at the front of the engine fully open for max air flow by drilling and threading a hole close next to the air control doors and threaded in a bolt with a large head to catch and hold the edge of the doors wide open. This is a non-permanent way, because I couldn't locate any of the temperature control bellows units. If I ever do, my bolts can be removed and the doors can operate as designed again. I doubt that these will ever be available again, though. My motor runs fine without them. Maybe it doesn't warm up as fast, but it won't overheat now.

There was a one cylinder version of this OMC engine too. It just had one cylinder missing and a plate cover over the hole. Everything else on this engine appears identical to the other two cylinder models.

Places like www.denniscarpentercushman.com say they don't have parts for trucksters, haulsters, etc, but they have the parts for the one cylinder OMC engines, because the one cylinder version was made for a model of Cushman Scooter. So they do have parts for our engines. www.directparts.com is the other source that I know of. Neither carries body parts.

Where is the rest of this Cushman Truckster, Haulster, etc? I only see the engine in the photos and maybe part of the frame.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #9
nedlyped
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Yea, that definitely looks like my same engine (OMC 18hp), but you have the Zenith carb. Also, looks like you are hooked right into original fuel pump, those go out in these Cushmans from what I read. Mine is bypassed because of issues. On old motorcycles I've worked on with high idle issues it ended up with either connections (throttle/cables) or directly with carb, like stuck needles/jets or old slides causing air leak.

I can offer these images as comparison to my how my carb is hooked up. Note: my T connector is clean, but I wrapped on end with an intertube because old one used same clamp that cut into connector and caused air leak.

Not sure if any of that helps!

Tags
alternator, charging, cushman, idle, truckster
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts