lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
Sweet5ltr
Getting Wild

Default Drive belt tension/belt burning

Okay, I have a freshly installed VC460 with the Comet clutch/HD secondary clutch upgrade. During WOT off-or near-idle, a bit of smoke is coming off the drive belt (slipping hard is my best guess). Is this normal with 24" tires, or is it necessary to tighten up the belt a bit more? It doesn't occur if the throttle is eased into. I've read a few of the other threads, but they really didn't answer my question.

Thank you everyone for the help, it's truly appreciated.
Sweet5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Drive belt tension/belt burning

I run 24's with a vc 460 have not ever seen any smoking from the belt. I run mine is fairly tight.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Here is a post that may help you out.

Belt deflection!
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
Sweet5ltr
Getting Wild

Thanks everyone, the link isnt working however. About how much slack do you have in your belt? 1-2"?
Sweet5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

For normal sized belts, say less than 43", I'd go with 1" or less. I have always run mine as tight as I can manage. If they are lined up correctly you shouldn't have any troubles engaging too early. Check your alignment, make sure both clutches are lined up evenly. Also check the condition of the secondary clutch. If it's worn the belt will slip. Look for a lip/ridge on the lower part of the sheave faces. If the lip/ridge is pronounced, it's time for some clutch work/replacement. Check sliding sheave to make sure it slides free and smooth. You should be able to do this by pushing down on the belt....the belt will drop in the clutch, spreading the sheaves apart. It should be fairly easy. If not, it could be binding from lack of lubrication.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

What rpm does it engage, it should not do that though even with high rpm. Sleds engage at 6K and don't smoke at all. The only way they smoke the belt is if you get stuck and the track is frozen in the snow. But you are talking about 60-100hp sleds not 20hp.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps