lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
youngkm4
Not Yet Wild

Default Paint and body

I received an E-Z-go shuttle for free! The paint job that is on it is faded pretty bad so i would like to paint it. I dont have a spray gun and trying to keep it very cost effective. I hear this is possible to do with a spray paint can such as rustolium. At the moment this cart is green and im looking to make it red. I need a better understanding on steps how to make this look very well.
-Sanding, With what grit do i use? Do i want to start with a rougher and finish with a finer grit? Do i just scuff it or do i sand it down to the origional primer.
-Primer, What kind of primer should i use?
-Paint, I have an idea to make this a flat color, is this a good idea or should i go with a bit of a gloss?

Am i missing something if so please let me know. Thanks for all the help, everybit counts.

Last edited by youngkm4; 06-27-2012 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: made a few errors
youngkm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Paint and body

Young
If the cart has the original color on it "which since it is green I am guessing it is" all you really need to do is scuff it. The original color is molded in to the plastic and not painted, so you won't be able to sand it down to the primer. I use maroon colored scotchbrite to just take the gloss off. After that you can wipe it down with some wax and grease remover to clean it. When using the wax and grease use two towels, one to wipe it on and the other to dry it off. After that you will need to spray it with adhesion promoter, this actually softens up the plastic a bit so the paint adheres properly. Bulldog makes rattle can versions of it, just make sure to follow the instructions on the can. After that you are ready for paint. As far as the finish goes,flat, satin, or gloss, that is really up to you and what you want to do with the cart. Is it a cruiser, used for golf, hunting buggy. Myself personally I always like gloss but hey that's just me because I don't take mine in the mud or sticks. These are just my personal opinions and others will have their own.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
youngkm4
Not Yet Wild

master you are the man. I have it sanded enough to take the shine out and completly stripped the cart. Its been a pretty fun project and this is my first golf cart obviously. I was actually thinking about of using a ceramic paint which i hear has no problem with running. I also have read a few forums and have seen nothing but acrilic paint. is that the best way to go? I have heard horror stories about people painting their cart and it bubbeling up. Thats what im trying to avoid. I want a good do it yourself paint job that will last and not look like crap. Im wide open for ideas.

Also, i would like to put pictures up but im computer illiterate an cant figur out how to take a picture from my email and make it into a clickable link on the forum. btw, im turning this into a university of south carolina Gamecock mobile. My rims and tires have come in today and my lift tomorrow so im looking forward to see how this project will turn out.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
youngkm4
Not Yet Wild

Master 1 more thing,

i have red in some of your past threads that you primer as well. Just wondering when i would use the primer, do i sand it afterwards, with what grit.

let me know if i get this right...

scuff
wash
grease remover
adhesion promoter
paint

Where do i prime?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
youngkm4
Not Yet Wild

Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I remember right you were going with spray cans and if that is the case then yes acrylic is usually the way people go. Now in you're other thread you said it was a fiberglass cart, but based on the picture it sure looks like an EZ-GO plastic body. What year and brand is the cart?
If it is plastic then the adhesion promoter needs to go down before any primer or anything. If the body is straight and you are doing no bodywork then actually there is no need for primer either. You can just scuff, clean, tack cloth, adhesion promoter, tack cloth, paint. Let each coat completely dry and tack cloth between coats. Also on the first coat I always do a light fog coat first then put it on wetter as you go. And remember let it dry between coats. When you try to apply to much paint at once is when bubbling and running can occur
Old 06-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
youngkm4
Not Yet Wild

This is a 96 shuttle. I believe you are right once again about ot being plastic. What do you mean about tack cloth? Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A tack cloth is used to remove any dust or debris before painting. It looks like cheese cloth but is sticky and you just wipe it lightly over the body. You can find them anywhere, Lowes, home depot, etc.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint