lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Rangerdaniel
Getting Wild

Default Can my cart pull a bass boat?

I have a stock 36 volt cart. It is a 95 medalist. I was wondering if I could pull my boat around the house? Not to a ramp or anything, just in and out of garage and around property. Thinking about putting a ball on the front and pushing boat (actually easier to move boat in small spaces that way).
I have not attempted it yet, thought I would check here first.
Rangerdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can my cart pull a bass boat?

It all depends on the weight of the boat, the tire pressure on the trailer, the condition of the cart, the softness and slope of the ground, plus the gods being with you....lol

I would try it. Just do not hold the pedal down if the boat fails to move. Once the electric motor has stopped moving an object, the next thing is smoke release....which is not good.
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Rangerdaniel
Getting Wild

Good advice. I think boat and trailer about 1900 pounds
Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

AzPete made some good points. I would only attempt it if you yard and drive are almost flat. I don't know if cart brakes would hold if it starts to runaway.

I used to tow a pontoon boat around my yard with a 9hp rear engine rider lawn mower and had no issues.

I see a lot of people with motor homes launching their boats from a ball hitch on the front of the vehicle.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
greenmonster
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdaniel View Post
I have a stock 36 volt cart. It is a 95 medalist. I was wondering if I could pull my boat around the house? Not to a ramp or anything, just in and out of garage and around property. Thinking about putting a ball on the front and pushing boat (actually easier to move boat in small spaces that way).
I have not attempted it yet, thought I would check here first.
I have a 13' Boston Whaler and a 3 seat WaveRunner on trailers and I use my cart to move them around the yard. I've even launched the WaveRunner at a nearby public launch.
I live in NW Florida- no hills, and the yard is grassed.
I've had no difficulty whatsoever. Mine is a PDS so I'm careful not to push it too hard. I understand that the series carts make a better trailer-hauler.
greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Rangerdaniel
Getting Wild

Good deal. I am gonna give it a try. It has a place for a hitch on the front of my cart. I have no desire to pull the actual boat on the road or ramp. I was thinking of a way to move it around the house / garage without having to hook it to the truck every darn time.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

I would think that the front springs would be way too light for the weight of the boat. If I were going to give it a try, it would definitely be from the back where you have more than ONE leaf spring in place. The brakes would be more likely to hold without the weight on the front lightening the back end. Good luck with it.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your cart will hardly know a bass boat is back there. I used mine to push and pull transloading equipment around the switchyard where I used to work. A platform pump averages 8,000#. That is as much as the cart wanted to move. The cart didn't like it, but it got the job done. My syrup pumps only weiged about 4,000#. Those were the cart's primary burden to bear. Our terminal was mile and a half from switch to switch and I can't tell you how many times I used the cart to push our Ford Ranger yard truck back to the garage from wherever it decided puke out, yet again. A bass boat won't even make it groan.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO