lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
passthrough
Not Yet Wild

Default I'm gonna do it......

I had posted in the lifted forum about which to choose...Gas or Electric....You guys have convinced me....

I am going to build a gasser with a big block...If I can make it as quiet as your standard gasser sound will not be a problem. It sounds like the quiet factor can be handled by a small car muffler and keeping my foot out of it while at the resort. I'm thinking a cutout to let it breathe while outside the resort.. Will this be a jetting issue with backpressure changing when the cutout is open or closed??

I want to build a Yamaha or EZ-GO..Steel frame
I will lift...6" probably..Is there a big difference lifting between Yam or EZ-GO??
Big Block with a clone...16hp probably (sorry guys, on a bidget).
Need to retain the reverse. So a 4 cycle cart??
I would also like to retain the gas and go feature...

So what year ranges Yamaha or EZ-GO fit my criteria??

What should I expect to pay for a "builder" cart?? I know...varies by location...ballpark....I'm willing to drive a distance to pick one up if the price is right.

Anyone have a cart they are wanting to sell?? One that is complete and works to the point I won't have to guess at much....For a decent price I used to be a mechanic in a previous life so I have good mechanical ability.

I have a good imagination for fabrication so that will help. I can't weld very well but know a couple guys who can...

I'm going in totally blind...But I know you guys will help me find my way.

Thanks for any input.

Glen
passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: I'm gonna do it......

All good/solid questions Glen But, all those questions will get you more awnser's then you can Imagine. Don't know your budget or if your more enclined to build it your self, that being said, search the for sale section...some killer deals can be had. There is alot of good to be said for a "kit"...although the wallet can "pucker" enitially, the ease of installation is far less strain then "peiceing" a build togeather and is proven to work. Good luck on what ever you choose....
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Welcome to BGW Glen!

YES! make sure you get a 4 stroke cart. Yamaha and Ezgo are like Ford and Chevy. Good luck!! Do some reading in each tech section, compare and see what you think. I like Yamaha! Another way to help decide is to check out what parts / accessories are available for each. See our site sponsors for some ideas.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

How soon are you going to add the clone engine and lift, because
that opens up a lot of options..

I know of a 2006 nice ez go that sold recently locally for 350, I think..because it had a blown engine.

someone who was planning a engine conversion and an axle or long travel lift
has a lot more options than otherwise, to my way of thinking.

Of course, I had to hide my "options" from my wife, until it actually went
'putter putter' , and then it was easier to swallow the coins I spent.

Welcome, I had seen your other posting I think, and it will be great
seeing you get one going.

csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Welcome to BGW

I gotta say, I prefer Yamaha but there is just a lot of stuff out there for Ez-go's.
If you stay in the mid to late 90's with your purchase of either, it will make it a lot easier to find the upgrades that you want to do.

If your on a budget, you should look at the kits that Cart Parts Plus sells. http://www.cartpartsplus.com/
You will spend at least as much (if not more) time and money piecing together a BB kit, and it probly wont be as clean of an install as these kits are.

Either way, best of luck and dont forget that we really like pictures of the process as well as the finished product mostly cause we struggle with reading
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
adr
Gone Wild
Club Car

if i had a pocket full of money that was burning a hole in my pocket, i would have bought the kit from ccp,,, but end up i saved myself a ton of money on my cart that i built,,,

i have a total of $300 in my 16hp briggs,.. took a few weeks working on it off and on and a few brain cells but i was on a extremely low budget when i did mine end of last year,,,,
adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
thewskrs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Pasasthrough,
I don't think you can go wrong with either cart. You should check out craigslist also. I found my '97 EZGO on it for 5 hundred. Bad engines make people want to unload them reasonable. With clone engine, new clutch, lift, tires winch, roll cage, new seat covers and paint, I'm into it for $1800. Fun as hell!
thewskrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr View Post
if i had a pocket full of money that was burning a hole in my pocket, i would have bought the kit from ccp,,, but end up i saved myself a ton of money on my cart that i built,,,

i have a total of $300 in my 16hp briggs,.. took a few weeks working on it off and on and a few brain cells but i was on a extremely low budget when i did mine end of last year,,,,
I guess this remains a question of how you value your time When I did mine, I thought I had plenty of time to get it done. After a couple weeks, I wished I had bought a kit. The wireing, the plumbing, and the linkages kicked my a$$!
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
adr
Gone Wild
Club Car

i just worked on it in the evening for a couple hours here and there... i had very very low budget. finding a drive clutch that i could afford was the hardest part. i did ALOT of research on what to do,, got 95% of my info from the people on BGW.. looked at hundreds of builds,,

some of the people here say that they love the building and say they did it.... well it just adds one more thing for me to say i did, but heck yes it would have been much much easier and less time consuming to buy a kit from tom.... if i had to buy a kit, i would still be cartless tring to save, scratch for the money,,

PASSTHROUGH...btw i have a cc.. but if i didnt i think i would look at EZGO..

just my 2cents....
adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

A well thought out plan will help. Also matching correct parts to the cart you choose to use. The last thing you want is a crappy driving 40mph golf cart. Somebody will get hurt or worse. Here's some ideas.
Older Yamaha (g2-g9) Single a arm lift is good, Double a arm is better, Long travel is best.

Newer Yamaha g16-g21 You should have at least a double a arm, LT is best
G22 Carrier lift or Long travel

94-2000 EZgo. Drop axle lift minimum, or Long travel.
2001-up Ezgo. Drop axle or Long travel.

I'm sure you will have many people tell you other lifts worked good for them, I have driven some of thier carts, And my a$$ bit a chunck out of the seat trying to hold on. I have also driven carts that will change lanes just thinking about it. Or sway at hi speed. We perfer to build em a little safer. Does that mean every Big Block cart needs a Long Travel??? Not at all, Most carts we build (big blocked) do not have LT lifts.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!