lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
darwinb
Not Yet Wild

Default Lithium Ion Batteries

Ener1 is producing Lithium-ion batteries for vehicle and commercial use. They are using nano technology and are the only US Mfg that uses flat, rather than cylindrical construction. I have emailed them asking for information on batteries that could be used in a golf cart or LSV application. Their responses have been courteous but I don't think they see this industry as a potential market. If you would like to upgrade to Lithium-ion please email them:

http://enerdel.com/mos/Contact_Us/

I am going to post their contact information on every electric vehicle website. Maybe if they got enough requests, they would consider building some batteries that would be appropriate for our use.

I would love to see some 36, 48, and 72 volt battery packs that were light and compact.
darwinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lithium Ion Batteries

I think the high costs of lithium batteries is what has kept it out of everyone's reach
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
darwinb
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think the high costs of lithium batteries is what has kept it out of everyone's reach
Yes. They are expensive now, and that is the point. The trick is to get some volume flowing. If the experimenters and customizers push, the cart manufacturers will also notice. Volume will bring the prices down. Check out Enerdel's website http://www.enerdel.com/. Their goal is better and cheaper. They need a good revenue stream, but don't see the thousands of golf carts on courses around the world. Golf carts are a perfect starting place because of the large installed base of vehicles in operation. If we can get enough people to inquire, they may see the opportunity. The cost of our current batteries is well established. That gives them a goal. If I could get lighter more powerful batteries for less than twice the price of Flooded L/A, I would go for it.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:29 AM   #4
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

You might try diyelectriccar.com

Does that company make lithium ion or LiFePO4?
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
darwinb
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Cartz View Post
You might try diyelectriccar.com

Does that company make lithium ion or LiFePO4?
Lithium-ion nanothechnology

http://enerdel.com/content/view/33/73/

EnerDel has developed advanced lithium-ion battery technologies for use in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (“HEV”), Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (“PHEV”) and Electric Vehicle (“EV”) applications. EnerDel is developing the core lithium titanate battery technology for HEVs and PHEVs under awards from the United States Advanced Battery Consortium (“USABC”). USABC is a consortium of three major U.S. auto manufacturers (Ford, General Motors and Chrysler) with funding provided by the Department of Energy. In addition, EnerDel has developed an EV lithium-ion battery designed to achieve the higher energy density required for EVs, such as for the Th!nk City EV.

I want one.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Lithium golf cart batteries are out there, I've driven in carts with them. Problem is cost, currently about .50cents a watt.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
darwinb
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXEROFCARTS View Post
Lithium golf cart batteries are out there, I've driven in carts with them. Problem is cost, currently about .50cents a watt.
These were probably lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery (also designated "LFP") a type of rechargeable battery lithium ion battery, which uses LiFePO4 as a cathode material. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...sphate_battery

Sold by http://www.powerstream.com/LLLF.htm and others. I think these are mostly Garage operations but just guessing.

The new technology from Enerdel and A123 Systems uses new technology that has a much higher amp/pound and supposedly they have developed better manufacturing processes that will make the batteries cheaper.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

There have been numerous lithium discussions on EV websites. LiFePO4 appears to be the best bet for purchase by the general public and it is supposedly much safer technology. Problem is they are only available from Chinese manufacturers and the high price does not justify purchase of this unproven new technology right now. They require an expensive battery management which has yet to be perfected. However, their energy density and cycle life make them a promising option one day.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

If EESTOR has, what they say they have, batteries will be no more.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXEROFCARTS View Post
If EESTOR has, what they say they have, batteries will be no more.

And probly hydrocarbon powered vehicles.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, li-ion, power, speed, volts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!