lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2022, 07:37 PM   #1
spacepilot
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 09 Precedent sputters when first started (cold), runs fine when warm up

I have a 2009 Precedent FE350 and it sputters and backfires after it has been sitting overnight or after an extended period of time. After about 5 minutes of sputtering it warms up and starts running smooth. Once and awhile after it's been running smooth the engine will turn off, but will start back up again after pressing the accelerator. I have notice that the spark plug is very black and sooty. I have cleaned the carburetor, new fuel pump, spark plug, spark plug boot and fuel filter. I've unhooked the rev limiter and that made no difference. I'm thinking it might be getting too much air so I've ordered a new air intake/carb gaskets and my airbag gasket is damaged (new one on order). I'm out of ideas and need some guidance on next steps.
spacepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2022, 10:09 PM   #2
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 09 Precedent sputters when first started (cold), runs fine when warm up

It sounds like it’s a little rich
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:01 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 09 Precedent sputters when first started (cold), runs fine when warm up

If the plug is sooty its too much fuel.
What kind of plug are you using? Should be an NGK BPR5ES. Gap 0.29-0.33".

How is the oil level? The engine could be flooded.
It's common for the float to get stuck and cause the carb to flood the engine and will cause lots of issues.
Also make sure the inlet into the air filter housing is not clogged.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:47 PM   #4
spacepilot
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Currently I'm running NGK BPR6ES. Engine oil level is ok, I just did an oil change. I have cleaned the carb multiple times. How would a resolve a stuck float? I have also checked the air filter housing and it looks good. I have noticed that when I put it in service mode run it in neutral the engine will start and surge then sputter/stall then startup again and the sputter/stall. Could it be the rev limiter or coil?
Old 07-03-2022, 08:42 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The number in the BPR5ES is the rating of the spark plug. A lower number will spark “hotter” than a higher number. I’d install a 5 or even a 4 and see if it’s any better. Hotter spark will burn better. Colder spark will foul out easier.

Also take the plug out and hold it to a valve cover bolt and crank the engine. Note the color of the spark. It should be fat and blue. If it’s yellow or white it may be a weak coil.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:23 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

A 5 vs a 6 plug generally won’t make that much difference in these, but if you have a issue where too much fuel is getting in a hotter plug can sometimes help. It won’t be the big difference here though. Either you still have a carb issue, plugged up idle pilot jet, or a plugged main pilot tube, or the ignition coil may be failing.

You mentioned the rev limiter, but Make sure the Brown wire from the limiter is disconnected and taped up so it can’t ground to anything.
From there I would also double check the valve lash, make sure you have intake and exhaust valves at .005” cold.
Ignition coil is the last thing I would go after, but only after making sure the carb is 100%.
When you cleaned the carb did you remove the main jet and the pilot tube that’s above it? Did you remove the idle pilot screw and clean that and the idle jet passages?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:45 PM   #7
spacepilot
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Also take the plug out and hold it to a valve cover bolt and crank the engine. Note the color of the spark. It should be fat and blue. If it’s yellow or white it may be a weak coil.
The color of the spark is pink/purple and its not very fat.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:08 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Try a new plug and see if it’s any better before diving deeper. You don’t want to replace that coil if you don’t have to!
Old 07-04-2022, 07:35 PM   #9
spacepilot
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'll try a hotter plug. I did notice that my air filter intake gasket is not making a good seal. I have a new one on order. Would a leaking airbox cause sputtering and running rich issues.?
Old 07-04-2022, 08:23 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If anything a leaking airbox seal would cause it to run lean.

How does your air filter look? If it’s really dirty it may restrict airflow and make it run rich

How old is the gas?

Tags
backfires, precedent, sputtering
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car