lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #1
TChase44
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 TXT only full speed

I just picked up a 2006 TXT that's in great shape, but it only goes full speed. If I try to go slow, the cart chugs until I floor it or take my foot completely off the pedal. I don't know how to identify whether the governor has been removed or tampered with. I adjusted the nuts on the throttle cable toward the back of the cart in two places, with no luck. Any insight into what might be happening would be very appreciated!
TChase44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2022, 04:14 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2006 TXT only full speed

I would guess either the throttle cable or the accelerator cable is out of adjustment. I had one in the past that did that, and the square plastic clip that holds the cable at the carb had popped out of the steel bracket. The pedal should engage the starter prior to moving the throttle on the carb. If that isn't happening, the throttle will be open when the starter engages and the cart will jerk forward when it fires.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
TChase44
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, that put me in the right direction, I think. I've attached an image. Pardon my lack of technical terms: the flat, metal arm in the top half of the image, in about the 8:00 position, I'm assuming that's the governor? It was drawn in, closer to a 7:00 position, so I loosened the nuts on the bottom of the image. I think that's what helped, as the issue is a little better, but you can see the cable (throttle cable, I believe) running to the spring is rather loose. I tightened it as best I could with the nuts toward the top of the image, but it's still loose. Perhaps I need a new throttle cable? Or is there another way to tighten it farther up the line?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (209.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-30-2022, 12:40 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d start by setting everything back to factory spec. Sometimes people mess with those to try and speed them up or slow them down when they don’t know what they’re doing and it can be a pain to put back right.

The shifters from 2000-2006 are different but the governor and linkage setup *should* be the same. With a little searching I’m sure you could find the right manual for your year but this should get you pretty close. Check the speed control section

https://support.countrycat.com/posts...service-manual
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:42 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also make sure your cable from the governor TO the carb is routed correctly. It has to feed between the starter/gen and carb so it goes STRAIGHT up from underneath. If it’s routed improperly it can tweak the cable and it won’t work right, it will bind and stick and no good will come of it.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:19 PM   #6
TChase44
Not Yet Wild

I managed to find the 2007 version of that manual that had the exact same equipment as my 2006. This helped me identify all of the parts, but everything seems to be at factory spec. The only indication that manual gave is that the spring should be at 2.5", which it is. I'll check the cable from the governor when I'm back with the cart.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChase44 View Post
Thank you, that put me in the right direction, I think. I've attached an image. Pardon my lack of technical terms: the flat, metal arm in the top half of the image, in about the 8:00 position, I'm assuming that's the governor? It was drawn in, closer to a 7:00 position, so I loosened the nuts on the bottom of the image. I think that's what helped, as the issue is a little better, but you can see the cable (throttle cable, I believe) running to the spring is rather loose. I tightened it as best I could with the nuts toward the top of the image, but it's still loose. Perhaps I need a new throttle cable? Or is there another way to tighten it farther up the line?
As you can see looking at mine which is the same model as yours the throttle cable on your cart seems way out of adjustment.

Just take you finger and pull where I put the red circle and watch your carburetor to see if linkage moves. It should respond and snap back when you let off it with your finger.
The throttle cable does bind up on occasion and has to be replaced as you can see mine is new.

The bushing where I put the purple arrow also needs looking at close. Yours looks good from my end but make sure anyway.

The governor arm on top of differential should snap back when you push it with your hand both ways . Make sure it don't bind and moves free.

I just never put many accelerator cables on but I am not saying yours is not defective. Most of the time its the throttle cables that gives the problem. Like CP241 mentioned just watch how it goes under and up to carburetor. I have run into more than one that got pinched when someone put the skip plate back on or routed it the wrong way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable for ezgo.jpg (488.6 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:15 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Cheater. You’ve got pictures
Old 06-30-2022, 10:00 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Cheater. You’ve got pictures
I got carts. Too many. Sale coming soon
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO