lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2022, 09:57 AM   #1
ieatkidz4lunch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2022 Club Car Onward lithium LEDglow install

Hey all first post! I have searched throughout the forums and the best help has been the discovery of the 12v accessory plug underneath the passenger side wheel well. This is where I was planning on installing a light kit however, my wonderful wife purchased me the LEDGlow light kit for Father's Day and she got the Electric Golf cart controller (because of course she would, we own an electric cart!) This controller has a built in 36v~72v reducer in it, meaning I cannot use this 12v connection .

My question that I have not been able to find on the forum is where can/should I tie in on the cart to draw the required power? I'd like to avoid the hassle of attempting to return the controller and getting the Gas Cart controller which works on 12v.
ieatkidz4lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2022, 09:51 AM   #2
ieatkidz4lunch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2022 Club Car Onward lithium LEDglow install

I talked to the service desk at Yamaha where I purchased the cart. They told me not to tie into anything else on the cart besides the 12v accessory plug. Also advised I cut each wire one at a time when removing the molex.

I will contact LEDglow and attempt to return the built in reducer controller for the 12v controller they sell for gas carts.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:46 PM   #3
ieatkidz4lunch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Last update from my end unless I get a comment.

LEDGlow is maintaining that I should connect their light controller with a built in reducer directly to the lithium battery posts. They state that many customers have done this install and they have not heard of issues.

I contacted another Club Car dealer and they advised me to only use the 12v accessory cable.

LEDGlow states that if I were to get the other controller (12v controller for gas carts) and connected to the 12v accessory line I will eventually run into issues with the controller due to the factory in line reducer.

Does anyone have an opinion on connecting directly to the lithium posts? Im asking because Im sure the dealer is being sincere in trying to avoid any issues for myself but curious if anyone else has done this with success - or failure. I really want lights and not the hassle of an additional battery.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:41 AM   #4
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am not the smartest electrical guy on here (by far!) but I am going to venture that hooking directly to the post(s) is not the ideal set up. To me, this needs to come from some type of 12V auxiliary location. If you are trying to make something work that really is not designed for your application, I imagine that you may be compromising somewhere. I understand the sentimental part of this (because it came from your wife) but I think you may need to get the proper item for your application.

Just my .02
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:01 PM   #5
Billman3000
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I bought the Golf Cart lights from Ledglow and then bought a secondary 12 volt battery kit from Crutchfield for $174. (XS Power) It works great. Yes there are 2 chargers but made the install a no brainer. I don't have lithium or any high tech system. (older cart) I did not want to have the Led kit take power from the cart. I have a 6 seater. I plan is to maybe pull the headlights/horn from the main power and put those on the extra battery??
Billman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, led, lights, lithium, onward
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car