lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2022, 06:14 PM   #1
Firefighter901
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV Input Shaft

I’ve got a 2009 RXV and I’ve read that replacing the input shaft can quiet down the whine it produces when accelerating and slowing. First question…..anyone had similar experiences and gotten good results from replacing the shaft?

Second, I see them online anywhere from $70 to $300+. Is this one of those situations where you truly get what you pay for and are better suited to drop the extra money, or is a $70 one on Amazon just as good?

Thanks for any help and advice you may have.
Firefighter901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2022, 06:17 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Input Shaft

Welcome to the club... i was in the same boat with my '09. I've read everything i could find about the whining rearend incl. the recommendation to replace the Input shaft and the gear oil. Got a new shaft incl. bearings ( a 70$ cheap one ), no difference visible to the stock shaft, fits perfect. But... it doesn't changed anything
The problem in my experience is the whole gearset and It doesn't help to renew only one of 3 gears.
A whole set of gears / bearings are pretty expensive, so i decided to purchase a complete new transaxle. Fortunately in 2020, before everything began to rise. 1130$ wasn't cheap, but it was the best way for me.
The new ( Shafer ) rearend is a dream and good for the next 10 yrs!

The picture shows the oem shaft, all bearings were fine but the gear teeth were sharp like a knife, sign of wear!
When changing the gear oil, a lot of glitter were found in the oil pan as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200811_175707.jpg (108.7 KB, 0 views)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:42 AM   #3
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The whining while slowing down most likely is the regenerative breaking. As Ojo said, changing just the input shaft doesn't always get rid of the rear end noise. I usually dislike the cheap China parts but I did replace one input assembly from China and it has held up so far.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:18 AM   #4
Firefighter901
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Welcome to the club... i was in the same boat with my '09. I've read everything i could find about the whining rearend incl. the recommendation to replace the Input shaft and the gear oil. Got a new shaft incl. bearings ( a 70$ cheap one ), no difference visible to the stock shaft, fits perfect. But... it doesn't changed anything
The problem in my experience is the whole gearset and It doesn't help to renew only one of 3 gears.
A whole set of gears / bearings are pretty expensive, so i decided to purchase a complete new transaxle. Fortunately in 2020, before everything began to rise. 1130$ wasn't cheap, but it was the best way for me.
The new ( Shafer ) rearend is a dream and good for the next 10 yrs!

The picture shows the oem shaft, all bearings were fine but the gear teeth were sharp like a knife, sign of wear!
When changing the gear oil, a lot of glitter were found in the oil pan as well.

Thank you for the advice!
Old 06-19-2022, 10:20 AM   #5
Firefighter901
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartdoc1969 View Post
The whining while slowing down most likely is the regenerative breaking. As Ojo said, changing just the input shaft doesn't always get rid of the rear end noise. I usually dislike the cheap China parts but I did replace one input assembly from China and it has held up so far.
Thank you. I feel the same about those parts, but it’s hard to beat the price. I figure as easy of a swap as it is, that I may just do it just to give it a try at least. The whining is mostly when under full acceleration, not as much when slowing down….which I figured is likely just the braking as you mentioned.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:43 AM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Each case is different, other owners reported success with a new input shaft only. It's a ~ 75$ Investment incl. new seal and exept of the heavy motor not hard to do. You can place the motor between axle and battery tray, no need to diconnect it completely ( see picture ).

If you're interested, i took a short video w sound of my whining cart to compare. Can't it upload here, probably as PM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200722_112021.jpg (148.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-19-2022, 11:48 AM   #7
Firefighter901
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Each case is different, other owners reported success with a new input shaft only. It's a ~ 75$ Investment incl. new seal and exept of the heavy motor not hard to do. You can place the motor between axle and battery tray, no need to diconnect it completely ( see picture ).

If you're interested, i took a short video w sound of my whining cart to compare. Can't it upload here, probably as PM.
Yes, I’d definitely like to hear that video.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:52 PM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's the link on Google Drive, hoping it works:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mBJ...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 06-19-2022, 04:45 PM   #9
Firefighter901
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Here's the link on Google Drive, hoping it works:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mBJ...w?usp=drivesdk
Thank you, it worked. My whine isn’t that loud. And it’s more of a high pitched sound on mine.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:59 PM   #10
Firefighter901
Not Yet Wild

Update:

I swapped out the input shaft this evening and was pleasantly surprised at the difference it made. I had prepared myself for no change since some have none, but swapping it out definitely quieted mine down.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO