lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #1
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G9 420 swap

Hey guys I have a code to get a predator 420 to save $70 and wondering if anyone has a link to a kit I can buy that works with my Yamaha G9 to mount my motor and any other parts needed
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2022, 03:55 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G9 420 swap

Vegascarts G2-14 GX390& clone swap parts
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:00 PM   #3
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thank u, is this a drop in kit ? Also looking to wire it up to work with my wiring harness and stock starter/gen ? I read something about a pulley needed
Old 06-11-2022, 07:47 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

IF you are using the comet 780 clutch a pulley is needed but not if you are using the stock primary. With the mounting plate and the S/G plate the engine and S/G are bolt in items. The exhaust header also is a bolt in. The muffler is another story particularly on a yamaha of that era. Wiring wise with the S/G you only need to add a separate kill switch or the relay described in the sticky if you want all to operate as stock.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:44 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Are you looking for all out performance? Or just a "better than stock" option?

You can use the Predator 420 with the original air filter and muffler and it will run really good in stock form. I've done this and it's actually decently quiet. You will just want to keep the rpm down below 4200, use the governor on the engine. For this option you can use the stock primary clutch, you just need to cut and drill/tap the crank and use a tapered adapter. That can save you money since you won't need a clutch, exhaust, air filter. You'll still need an engine mount, belt, and do some minor wiring to get the kill wire to work with your start/stop pedal switch.

The other option is use a Comet 780 with v belt pulley behind it, engine mount, exhaust, air filter, belt, keyed starter switch (Briggs style from tractor dealer), and rev kit (to allow more rpm). Of course that's quite a bit more expensive.

Vegas Carts is the only place I know that makes all the parts you need, but they are all separate.

Just go here https://vegascarts.com/collections/yamaha/GX39
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:42 PM   #6
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I’m looking for something stock that goes and stops like a normal golf cart, i not sure if I want to drill and tap a crankshaft my luck it will break or be sideways. If I can find a stock motor for sale that does not need rebuilt I would just buy it lol
Old 06-13-2022, 10:08 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1 View Post
I’m looking for something stock that goes and stops like a normal golf cart, i not sure if I want to drill and tap a crankshaft my luck it will break or be sideways. If I can find a stock motor for sale that does not need rebuilt I would just buy it lol
Then your only option for a clone is to buy the 780 Comet with a V pulley behind it, then use your stock starter gen.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:47 PM   #8
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If I go the stock clutch how much of the shaft do I need to cut off ? And what size tap is required ?
Old 06-25-2022, 11:30 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You would cut the crankshaft to the length of the tapered adapter. The size tap would match the stock bolt from your stock primary clutch, basically use all your stock parts. You could use a 3/8-24 as long as that fit your clutch and you used the correct washers etc.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!