lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2022, 08:29 AM   #1
Hdtommyg
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 cushman turf truckster

I have a 1989 gas cushman turf truckster with a diahatsu 327 engine. I was wondering if there is a forum specific to older cushman. If anyone knows of one, or other resources, please let me know. Right now I am looking for an engine wiring diagram. Thank you
Hdtommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2022, 10:59 AM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: 1989 cushman turf truckster

Welcome to the forum.

There are a few older Cushman's on BGW but not many.

Finding information about Cushman's online can be tricky ... I find it is best to search using your 6 digit model number.

Here are a few online Cushman resources that I have used in the past. You might be able to find a wiring diagram or service manual for your Cushman at one of these sites.

https://vintagegolfcartparts.com/vin...erence-library

https://www.x-tremedist.com/cushman-manuals

https://support.countrycat.com/search?query=cushman
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:10 PM   #3
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

I have a 1987 Cushman (not a Turf Truckster) with an OMC 22 hp engine. I've become somewhat familiar with Cushman Trucksters of that age, so maybe I can answer some of your questions. On the "Sillylittlecars.com" website you will find a few manuals that cover most of the late 1980's Trucksters for download. You don't have to be a member to download. The ...767 Supplement manual on this website contains the electrical diagrams for many models. If you don't find the exact one for your Turf Truckster, there should be one that is close. Find sources for your Daihatsu motor parts and you should be good. The main ...767 manual contains exploded views of the body and sheet metal parts. Sadly, none of this is available new any more.

Drivetrain and engine parts for trucksters can be found at www.denniscarpentercushman.com and www.directparts.com. I have also found that many parts can be found at auto parts stores, but they don't have a cross reference. Older workers can look at your old part and then find the same on the shelves. The newer guys can only find it if you have a part number.

The local forklift repair shops can be another source of parts. When these little vehicles were in use, it was the forklift repair shops that maintained most of them. I found my brake master cylinder at my local shop for about 1/3 what they want on Ebay.

Late 1970's Ford F-150 wheel brake cylinders are almost identical, so the rebuilding kits work fine. The F-150 wheel cylinder castings are the same, but with a bump on the casting that needs to be ground off.

Gas tank problems are usually internal rust and pin holes. These can be fixed with a tank relining kit from KBS Industries. The kit comes with an etchant to break up and remove the rust, a neutralizing solution, and an epoxy-like lining material. A few hours in increments spread out over several days will have the tank clean of rust and relined to make it last another 50 years or more. You need ways to seal the openings during treatment, and some fat pipe cleaners to clear the inlet and outlet tubes of the epoxy-like material before it hardens. I used a couple of hands full of gravel in the etching cycle to help break up the 1/2" or so of rust cake in the bottom during the etching cycle. That, and some vigorous shaking did the trick.

The wheels on Cushman vehicles look the same as what is readily available, but the lug spacing is slightly different. Some have bought these wheels anyway, and had a machine shop drill the Cushman wheel lug pattern in between that of the original. The benefit is that the wheels will fit either lug pattern. Most tire shops have, or can get tires and tubes for you, and they can mount them too.

I found that the mechanical fuel pump on my OMC was no longer available, except as New/Old Stock, and the rubber parts had deteriorated. I bought an off-the-shelf automotive electric fuel pump and added it to my Cushman. It never ran that good before the electric fuel pump was installed. A plate and gasket was made to block the original mechanical fuel pump location.

Tail lights and lenses are still available from auto parts stores. The gas cap was also available, but it's for a sealed system, and my Cushman needed a cap with a vent, so I removed the check valve in the new cap.

This should all get you well on your way. If you have specific problems or questions, post them here and I'll try to help. Cushman rarely made major changes in their models from year to year, so something from a few years earlier or later should fit.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 09:55 AM   #4
yenomoncush
Not Yet Wild

Do you know of any resources explaining engine removal? I have a low compression issue and I need to look at the cylinder head/piston.
yenomoncush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:13 PM   #5
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

www.sillylittlecars.com has pdf files of the late 1980's Cushmans for free download. The Supplement manual contains wiring diagrams and complete teardown and maintenance info for the OMC engines, but I don't remember seeing anything for the Daihatsu. The main manual contains exploded diagrams for the body and chassis parts, along with the part numbers, so this is mostly useless, since most of what is in there is unobtanium today, except from donor vehicles. It was some time in 1989 that they began using the Daihatsu engines. Some had the OMC engines and some of the later ones had the Daihatsu. There should be a large plate attached to the right of the steering wheel with part numbers for major drivetrain items. www.directparts.com might be able to help with the engine parts and manuals. You might also take the engine numbers with you to a Daihatsu dealer and to a local auto parts store to see if they can help. I've never worked on that engine, so can't be of much help, other than to suggest these possibilities.

Charley
Old 09-17-2022, 08:09 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I am not so sure about the safety of the sillylittlecar website. Google says its not safe. Here is exactly what I got checking with google
Current status
warning
Some pages on this site are unsafe

The site sillylittlecars contains harmful content, including pages that:

Try to trick visitors into sharing personal info or downloading software

Unsafe content might only appear on some pages of a website. Check the URL of the specific directory or webpage you want to visit for more detailed safety info.
Until someone can check this site out I wouldn't go to it.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:43 AM   #7
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

I just went to www.sillylittlecars.com and had no warning messages from my anti virus scanning software, but it is not a fully secure website by Microsoft's standards. The manuals that you want are the 826767. Again, the Supplement is more valuable than the main manual. None of this has changed in 10 or more years. One of the more recent posts or pictures might have a virus in it, but not these older Cushman manuals. (I helped put these manuals there). This link will take you directly to the manuals list and bypass the rest of the website.

http://sillylittlecars.com/files/

Sorry, best I can do to help with free manuals.

Charley

Tags
cushman, turf truckster
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts