lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2022, 08:43 AM   #1
drandle
Not Yet Wild

Default clicking sound in front end when backing up

All,
I took my 2010 Tomberlin Vanish out for it's spring cleaning this weekend. Cleaned all the batteries (which were new last fall), lubed all the joints, checked all the fluid and oil levels and took her for a spin. when I was backing her into the garage I noticed a clicking noise from the front end, possibly from the front axles? Any recommendations on how to trace the problem and resolve? The machine only has 444 miles on it.

Thanks,
Don
drandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2022, 07:54 AM   #2
drandle
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: clicking sound in front end when backing up

So I'm assuming that it's the CV axles? Anyone have any for sale or know if there's one on the market that can replace these?
Old 09-05-2022, 11:38 AM   #3
beynon
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

The cv axles are ridiculously expensive (~500 each). For the two that failed on my 2010 vanish, they were both rear end axles. Seeing the inside after tearing them down post-failure makes me think the ball bearings create grooves in the housing, causing them to stick at times and make the clicking noise.

The wheel hub end diameter and length seems custom and not line any other more common half axles I could find. If you ever do find something compatible, is really like to know what it is. My thought was to convert it over to use something like Polaris ranger axles and wheels and brakes.

The only source for the OEM axles is Columbia or an authorized dealer like EV technical services. See this thread and look at the signature block of the super helpful user "Tech Support" for a coupon code.

Good luck!

Mike.
beynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:27 PM   #4
drandle
Not Yet Wild

I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered a pair from EV (super fast shipping!!). I figured it was cheaper than replacing the UTV! Mine always stays in the garage and is in really nice shape and hardly driven except for snow removal. I replaced the rear axles 3 or 4 years ago so now i'll replace the front two. I also have a lot of spare parts such as a motor, both transmissions, drive shaft, transfer cases etc... So hopefully i'll be able to keep her running for a good long while. I may take one of the broken axles apart and see if I can find a rebuild kit that will work for it.

Don
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin